hopeful lost LP discoveries...

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
damn, what happened to being able to make a long subject??anyway, who do you hope has a lost LP somewhere just waiting to be discovered on tape and released now? perhaps some dude who only put out one 45, or a backing band that never got any solo shine?i cant think of anything right off the top of my head...timothy mcnealy perhaps? i'll probably think of something better.

Comments

• The lost full-length by the selah/edith hill - "symposium" LP.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    damn, what happened to being able to make a long subject??

Yeah, for real! I spent 15 minutes trying to fit "Fall River/New Bedford Record Spots" into a title, had to chop it down to nothing ...

On topic, the 60's band "The Choir" seemed to be begging for a full LP
    release, after having a nationwide sleeper hit with "It's Cold Outside"
    and a couple of fantastic follow-up singles that didn't hit ... I seriously
    daydream about a full LP being discovered ...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    A Pete Cosey LP would be nice.

That, and a Black Merda LP that captured their essence as well as both sides of their work with Hank Ballard on his "I'm A Junkie For My Baby's Love / Love, Why Is It Taking You So Long? single.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

SERIOUSLY!! yknow.. I was thinking about taking a trip to the Chi just to meet Mr. Cosey.

If anything just to learn a bit from him.

Anybody from the Chi have any connections or relations?

Marco?

- spidey

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    A Sons Of Slum LP would be nice, too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I forget who put it out, but there was at least a compilation in the nineties called Choir Practice...had a cheesy cover featuring the band in choir robes.

Black Lightning. Judging by the two funk-rock singles I have on MCA, they sounded talented enough that there was probably more where that came from.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I forget who put it out, but there was at least a compilation in the nineties called Choir Practice...had a cheesy cover featuring the band in choir robes.

... on Sundazed. Great set, but I just wish I had some vintage
    Roulette LP with full-color cover, heavy vinyl and 11 or 12 fully
    realized tracks. The demos on the Sundazed would have made great
    actual tracks, every one sounding like a hit to my ears.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    All the Malian state orchestras from the early 70s. Orchestre Regional De Gao in particular.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'd like a full album by Curtis Green please

I remember reading that in the late sixties, Johnny "Guitar" Watson reportedly recorded an entire LP with Taj Mahal live at the Fillmore West and that it continues to reside in CBS/Sony's vaults...

• Kim Melvin...gonna talk to him soon, so fingers are crossed...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I remember reading that in the late sixties, Johnny "Guitar" Watson reportedly recorded an entire LP with Taj Mahal live at the Fillmore West and that it continues to reside in CBS/Sony's vaults...

There must be some insane shit in Sony's vault. I still live in hope that the album Chic wrote and produced for Johnny Mathis will eventually see the light of day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    2Pac

• A Cameo/Parkway era Eddie Holman LP and a full album by the Volcanos...

Swamp Dogg's country & western LP.

Mercury started to release this in the eighties, but got cold feet and passed on it at the last minute.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

HELL yeah

suppossedly he has recordings of EVERY concert with Miles as well.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    On the psych tip, I'd love to hear more from Tintern Abbey and the Syn. How about Rokk because we already know there's an unreleased LP.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Mercury started to release this in the eighties, but got cold feet and passed on it at the last minute.

Recorded when? That sounds intriguing.

Recorded when? That sounds intriguing.

I wanna say around '85?

As Swamp told it to me, he was actually producing a white country singer at this point, but then the two men fell out and Swamp wound up erasing the other guy's voice and putting his own on. And Mercury almost went with it, but they didn't think the idea of a black country singer was gonna fly ('specially if it's the Dogg!), so on the shelf it remained.

I asked Swamp seven years ago if he'd consider relasing it himself, or at least recording another C&W album like it, and he said something like "sheeit, I'm putting two of my children through college, I'd go broke putting that out!"

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

lets say one of you was the winner for this auction...would you keep it to yourself or try to get a legit release? i think id WANT to do the latter but just be lazy and at most probably rip it and post a zip file for you guys or some shit. hahaha

any news on if this things gonna get released? who won it?

• Nathan Davis told me that there was an LPs-worth recorded in Turkey during the 'Cecen Kizi' session.

This I'd like to hear.