Records that Look like shit but still play great

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I'm talking hairlines,scuffs,surface knocks etcif you've been in the game for a minute you know what i meanespecially old presteige,riverside and bluenotes can't sell em cause they look less than mint but they still sound great-or play VG+I guess those deep old grooves were meant to survive time

Comments

• Fania gold, Blue Note mono... JA reggae (sometimes)

love it

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Those Columbia white label disco 12s will take a beating and come out fine too.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I found this tom brock Lp once that had some marks on it that made me say " This record has skips" Damn thing plays VG++.

I have a Blair Lp that has light hair line scratches that you can only see with a magnifying glass. A huge mark that looks like someone took an eraser from a pencil and tried to erase something on the dead wax. Just hammered looking!!! Plays vg/vg+ with some light clicks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    my hell's belles OST looks on the verge of VG- but plays a strong VG+

• my hell's belles OST looks on the verge of VG- but plays a strong VG+

Mine looks like it wouldn't even play ... its almost totally matte with scratches. But it plays pretty cleanly. Got it for a fiver in a guys "you can use the covers" pile.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Fania gold
    i just came across a lot of these and everyone looks like someone ran it over with a car, but they play flawlessly. Thanks for letting me know its just not gods way of Frickin' with me.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Have you ever wonder what the fuck people were doing with a record back in the 60.s, 70's, 80's? Why would people be so damn careless with they vinyl?
    Just like cd's now. I looked at my g/f cd collection and every disc is hammered.
    I asked "What, did you just drag this shit on cement"?

Dj's back in the days just stacked their records in a pile with no sleeves. Threw the damn things in a crate, so now we have to look and say "DUMMY, that record is worth $500 dollars now"!! Put it back in the Frickin' sleeve!!!!!!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I have a 45 of Barbara Lynn's 'I'm a good woman' that hands down looks absolutely unplayable - I'm talking, i don't know if I'd pay a dollar for it if I stumbled across it in an op shop - but it miraculously plays VG+ with almost no background sound at all.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    For some reason, it seems that styrene 45s that are scratched up like hell often still play fine. My guess is that the material being harder than vinyl, the scratches just cleanly take out junks of the plastic while with vinyl, the scratch leaves some of the material bent into the groove which then causes the pops and clicks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I have a 45 of Barbara Lynn's 'I'm a good woman' that hands down looks absolutely unplayable - I'm talking, i don't know if I'd pay a dollar for it if I stumbled across it in an op shop - but it miraculously plays VG+ with almost no background sound at all.

ive gotten over this miracle...seems like every time i find some sleeveless scratched-to-shit 45, after a quick wash they usually play AT LEAST VG. heavy 45s are pretty indestructable. thin ones are not: case in point, i found a lyn collins 45 that i kid you not had 10-12 CRACKS in it. i have no idea what the owner did to that record, but it is now a coaster.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    My copy of Joe Bataan "Singin' some soul" is pretty scratched up but plays great.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My copy of Joe Bataan "Singin' some soul" is pretty scratched up but plays great.
    I was thinking about posting this and saw this thread

Got to give thanks to Johnny Payment Checks for this lovely addition to my collection

paid VG- plays VG +

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just got a copy of Long Live the Kane that looks totally heated on one side but plays awesome. Shit is for sale as we speak.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I'm talking hairlines,scuffs,surface knocks etc

if you've been in the game for a minute you know what i mean
    especially old presteige,riverside and bluenotes

can't sell em cause they look less than mint but they still sound great-or play VG+
    I guess those deep old grooves were meant to survive time

I feel you. Most of my collection looked like that.

• I have more than few styrene 45s that are grey they are so hammered, they look like they were played with a nail but they play crystal clear...never figured that one out...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It's real odd because often the opposite can be true with styrene also, looks clean but plays distorted, weird.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its funny because everyone hates on styrene
    but it was originally sold to the consumer as "hard to scratch/durable"

on the other hand i have audiophile/mfsl records that scratch waaay to easy and I won't even play anymore because of this phenom

• i just got a Howard Tate on Verve that looks kinda bad but sounds PERFECT