Options

f*cking Best Buy return policy...can I do this?

edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I bought a digital camera on Saturday at Best Buy, I think the guy said I have 14 days to return it. I didn't get a case for it and didn't know about LCD screen protectors, and already the screen is all scratched up and looks like sh*t. Would I be able to take it back, say I'm not happy with it and it's too difficult to use, and then just go and get the same model as a replacement? That's what I'm planning on doing anyway, I just want to make sure someone on here has my back in case the shit goes down up in there.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    I think they have a restocking fee on returns. Not sure about exchanges. Company is known to be shady. Good luck.

• trying to get money and or merchandise after scratching something is immoral, unethical, shady and will allow civilization to crumble and die...if this is part of the "game", I dont want any part of it...you have been judged shady and no one will want anything to do with you since you are only thinking of doing this and if you decide to act upon it, god help you as karma will "check you"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    How did you mess it up that much in less than a week?

I've returned a bunch of shit to best buy over the years and never had a problem. Just give a lame reason and try to put it back in the box the way you got it.

• I cracked the screen on my Canon a few days after buying it, they wouldn't take it back claiming it wasn't a factory defect or something like that. Since it was under warranty, I ended up sending it to Canon who fixed at no charge.

• Options
    How did you mess it up that much in less than a week?

There was probably sand in the pocket I carried it in one day. The same thing happened to my last one.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Years ago (try not to shop at big box stores ever anymore) I had two instances where I traded things in at Best Buy because they were genuinely defective. Both times they took my word for it and exchanged the items w/o inspecting them and offered me the same item or store credit.

I'd say as long as you have a receipt you're good.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The same thing happened to my last one.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    i'd be surprised if they let you return it. best buy sucks.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this is semi unrelated, but i'm telling it anyway. I got an ipod a couple years ago and got the Best Buy warranty for it because it was a better deal than Apple's (I didn't buy the ipod at Best Buy but it doesn't matter). So about 6 months after I get it the battery starts taking a crap, like it will only last 2-3 hours just listening to music, forget about video or anything like that. So I take it in, they send it out to their service center, who sends it back and says nothing is wrong with it. Now SINCE nothing is wrong with it, they tell me I have to pay them $25! I have to pay them to NOT fix my ipod! So I tell the "Geek Squad" (really just a bunch of no nothing asshole teenagers) that that's bullshit, so they charge it and let it play in the store for the day to see how the battery works. They call me at the end of the day and say it's fine. So I begrudgingly pay the $25 to get my ipod back, and WONDER OF WONDERS now it works fine! The battery lasts 8-10 hours easily. So basically they fixed it, then said they couldn't find anything wrong so they could get $25 out of me. I need John Stossell up in this.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yeah well in may i bought a $1200 laptop from circuit city, only to not really need it and i returned it three days later. they charged me $3oo restocking fee!

• Options
    Just got back, exchanged it straight up with no restocking fee since I told the girl right off the bat that "It scratched after putting it in my pocket once, your dude didn't tell me about buying a case or LCD protectors." She said there was no restocking fee (after I asked about it) since I was exchanging it for the same model, and I bought the case and protectors and told her that her nails were "serious".

And for the record, the Canon SD850 is an INSANE camera.