Producers/Artists that are still relevant

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
There's a timelessness about Dr.Dre and Just Blaze's productions. Which other producers/artists have managed to stay relevant? Just curious.

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    this sounds like a good homework project for you. report back to me on your lunch break tomorrow with a list of 10 producers/artists that you feel are still relevant. do this on your own with no outside assistance.

• premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few
    some of these aren't as important as they used to be but still getting work

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    alright, yuichi.

you are now not allowed to use any of the above mentioned names. think outside the box and reach deep within the depths of hip hop kulture to create your list.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    policing the cipher

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    this sounds like a good homework project for you. report back to me on your lunch break tomorrow with a list of 10 producers/artists that you feel are still relevant. do this on your own with no outside assistance.

I don't necessarily like all of these but....

Kanye West
    Outkast
    WC
    Snoop Dogg
    Black Eyed Peas
    Dipset
    Fat Joe
    Scott Storch
    Missy Eliott
    Common
    Madlib

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

You're already pissed at me...but how in the world do you figure Premier as still relavent?

To me, he's like the perfect definition of being stuck-in-the-past.

• premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

You're already pissed at me...but how in the world do you figure Premier as still relavent?

yeah while he is putting out tracks for christina aguralia. He is also sratching on commons album (most recent shit in pop arena) He may "sound" dated, but his shit is getting radio play.

premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

yeah while he is putting out tracks for christina aguralia. He is also sratching on commons album (most recent shit in pop arena) He may "sound" dated, but his shit is getting radio play.

Too bad nobody knows who he is.

• premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

i sort of base that off the feedback my premo vs jay dee thread garnered (even though my point in that thread is the one your making here). however, he is still doing lots of production even if its for so so underground dudes - with the exception of the work he did for christina aguilera, which was actually pretty good in my opinion and didn't really fit into the style he's been overusing for years. marley's relevance is questionable too, but he is still getting placements.

• premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

Please stop posting.

premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

Please stop posting.

Just saying, the crossover fame hasn't exactly happened. And wasn't that his intent when he made a beat for Christina Aguilera?

• What are you talking about?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

Please stop posting.

Just saying, the crossover fame hasn't exactly happened. And wasn't that his intent when he made a beat for Christina Aguilera?

I suspect any nonmusical motives had more to do with money than with fame.

You should really take a ten year breather before sharing any further rap-related thoughts, though.

Anyway, we derailed a bit, back to who is relevant. Premier may be a legend in the industry, but he is not on the radar of most mainstream consumers. Carry on.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    premier
    jazzy jeff
    dj toomp
    pete rock
    marley marl
    45 king
    manny fresh
    but to name a few

Please stop posting.

No, I think his intent was to cash some big checks and try his hand at some different shit and maybe get some additional exposure in the process. In fact, he's been pretty vocal that he doesn't want to cross over, repeatedly insisting that people come to him for the "street record" and not the commercial single. "Ain't No Other Man" was certainly an aberration, considering it was the lead single off a pop project, but that was hardly Primo's bid for a full-on crossover.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yuichi is right though.

• Anyway, we derailed a bit, back to who is relevant.

YOU are not relevant. Therefore I decree that your words do not hold weight on this subject.

Anyway, we derailed a bit, back to who is relevant.

YOU are not relevant. Therefore I decree that your words do not hold weight on this subject.

It's okay if I'm not relevant. I just wanted to know what is hot. I'm kinda getting sick of hearing T-Pain and Lil Wayne, and all that other bubblegum rap.

WC

This is a private mind garden choice.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yuichi is right though.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Just Blaze?
    Dipset?
    Scott Storch?

and you say premo is not a household name? what household do you live in? go down the street and ask 20 people if they are familiar with all 4 of these names and see if they know who youre talking about.

other than that, you seemed to be pretty conistent, so good job.

• Anyway, we derailed a bit, back to who is relevant. Premier may be a legend in the industry, but he is not on the radar of most mainstream consumers. Carry on.

Your posts seem confused, you started the thread talking about people who make timeless music and now you're only counting people on the radar of mainstream consumers...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Just Blaze?
    Dipset?
    Scott Storch?

and you say premo is not a household name? what household do you live in? go down the street around the world and ask 20 people if they are familiar with all 4 of these names and see if they know who youre talking about.

• Just Blaze?
    Dipset?
    Scott Storch?

and you say premo is not a household name? what household do you live in? go down the street and ask 20 people if they are familiar with all 4 of these names and see if they know who youre talking about.

I don't know man, a lot of people who i wouldn't expect know who Just Blaze is purely from him saying his own name at the beginning of so many tracks they heard...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    fair enough

Just Blaze?
    Dipset?
    Scott Storch?

and you say premo is not a household name? what household do you live in? go down the street and ask 20 people if they are familiar with all 4 3[/b] of these names and see if they know who youre talking about.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Your posts seem confused

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    fair enough

Just Blaze?
    Dipset?
    Scott Storch?

and you say premo is not a household name? what household do you live in? go down the street and ask 20 people if they are familiar with all 4 3[/b] of these names and see if they know who youre talking about.

I can't believe you little dudes are arguing over which one of these artists is a household name.

"Household name" = somebody whose name my mother knows, i.e., none of them.

fair enough

Just Blaze?
    Dipset?
    Scott Storch?

I can't believe you little dudes are arguing over which one of these artists is a household name.

"Household name" = somebody whose name my mother knows, i.e., none of them.

• I take little to heart from someone who has set the record for the amount of times they can "son" themselves with inane drivel that has less depth than a teaspoon...