What Hip Hop Songs/Artists Are OK to Dislike?

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Without being misconstrued as disconnected (at best) and/or racist (at worst)?I'd like to think that "Baby Got Back" and "Wild Thing" are fair game for dismissal for the non-bigoted, but the Local Real Rap Club Communities of Seattle and Compton may say otherwise. Please enlighten, those who are in a position to do so.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Only on SS would not liking a song or an artist get you accused of racism.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I generally ignore hip hop discussions on the strut because they seem to always gravatate around "new" hip hop.

like.....
    50 cent vs kanye
    who gives a crawling cluster fuck?

they both suck sweaty balls and are full on DRAMA DAIRY QUEENS[brazier]

Henceforth these down's syndrom-esque[sp] diatribes are easily comparible to an artifically flavored frozen lactose concoction ,an air infused sugar laden hormone/'steroid injected dairy product that is bound to be excreted and forgotten in an undulating torrent of spasming sphincter twists at the K-MART bathroom toilet stall in a matter of nano seconds post consumption.

Inevitably said discussions will wind up spiraling into an endless group flagellation over race,taste in music,self important opinions with no real quantification of relavent facts or a definitive ending.

• I generally ignore hip hop discussions on the strut because they seem to always gravatate around "new" hip hop.

like.....
    50 cent vs kanye
    who gives a crawling cluster fuck?

they both suck sweaty balls and are full on DRAMA DAIRY QUEENS[brazier]

Henceforth these down's syndrom-esque[sp] diatribes are easily comparible to an artifically flavored frozen lactose concoction ,an air infused sugar laden hormone/'steroid injected dairy product that is bound to be excreted and forgotten in an undulating torrent of spasming sphincter twists at the K-MART bathroom toilet stall in a matter of nano seconds post consumption.

Inevitably said discussions will wind up spiraling into an endless group flagellation over race,taste in music,self important opinions with no real quantification of relavent facts or a definitive ending.

^^^^That's my man right there!

• Henceforth these down's syndrom-esque[sp]

i like how he's now concerned with his spelling

• Hip hop okay to dislike:

Anything new: See above

Anything popular: See above

Anything West Coast (esp. if yr. from another jurisdiction)

Anything East Coast (esp. if yr. from another jurisdiction)

Anything Dirty South (esp. if yr. from another jurisdiction)

Tupac: Yeeack!

Jay-Z: Lost it

Anything "back pack": Yawn!

Anything that uses lotsa synthesizers: So chintzy

Anything that uses lotsa samples: Old!

Anything oldschool: Out. Of. Touch.

Anything R&B: Cheese!

Is there anything else you'd like a reason to legitimately dislike?

BTW Off topic - I saw the Wu Tang Clan the other day. Better than I expected - my expectations were pretty low. Tickets were free, but I still wasn't sure it was worth the drive...

OMG! So, like, when Method Man surfed the crowd, he totally surfed over my way, and I reached to support him as he walked on the tops of the chairs by me, and I TOTALLY grabbed his sweaty wrist for like 2 SECONDS! I still haven't washed my hand yet!!! I asked my boyfriend if he wanted to smell or lick my hand, but he declined.

Meth is definitely very good looking in person.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    too-pak

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Last week Kanye appeared and performed on Ellen and I came to the conclusion that my personal/local rap experience does not include artists or groups that appear on daytime talk shows.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's ok not to like Common...no really, it is.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Last week Kanye appeared and performed on Ellen and I came to the conclusion that my personal/local rap experience does not include artists or groups that appear on daytime talk shows.

Don't speak too soon...far better rap artists than Kanye have blessed mics on Jenny Jones, The Joan Rivers Show, etc. etc.

G Rap, Gangstarr, Ice-T, Wu Tang, Slick Rick...

• having come up in the seattle real rap community, i can't think of one person who would ride for mix-a-lot. except for the mid 80's when he was underground and didn't have a record out and played his cuts on the weekly rap show.

all rap/hip hop songs are ok to dislike.

• Last week Kanye appeared and performed on Ellen and I came to the conclusion that my personal/local rap experience does not include artists or groups that appear on daytime talk shows.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ban everyone

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ban everyone

• I need a ruling on Webstar. New Yorkers only plaese - opinions of the disconnected are of no use to me.

having come up in the seattle real rap community, i can't think of one person who would ride for mix-a-lot. except for the mid 80's when he was underground and didn't have a record out and played his cuts on the weekly rap show.

wtf?? Seattle doen't appreciate it's own? Mix-a-lot is a credit to the genre.

• having come up in the seattle real rap community, i can't think of one person who would ride for mix-a-lot. except for the mid 80's when he was underground and didn't have a record out and played his cuts on the weekly rap show.

loc: Baltimore

Coastally challenged. Next.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

can't see!

having come up in the seattle real rap community, i can't think of one person who would ride for mix-a-lot. except for the mid 80's when he was underground and didn't have a record out and played his cuts on the weekly rap show.

I'm just saying...if the Seattle rap community doesn't ride for Mix-a-Lot, who *DO* they ride for? Source of Labor?

I'm just saying...if the Seattle rap community doesn't ride for Mix-a-Lot, who *DO* they ride for? Source of Labor?

I wouldn't call Otto, someone who has indeed contributed to what he refers to as the "real hip hop scene" of Seattle but who also makes it his duty to act like what I would call the "real rap scene" of Seattle doesn't hold water, the best judge of this.

I wouldn't call Otto, someone who has indeed contributed to what he refers to as the "real hip hop scene" of Seattle but who also makes it his duty to act like what I would call the "real rap scene" of Seattle doesn't hold water, the best judge of this.

what? you're gonna have to start making some sense. so, i guess what you're saying is that i am not the best judge of people that i can think of? good call. from what i recall, mix was hot in the 80's, but most consider "baby got back" an embarrassment. but there ya go, i'm an aging b-boy living in another city now.

i think people are riding for vitamin d, dv1, jake, dyme def, blue scholars, boom bap, greyskul and chocolate.

what? you're gonna have to start making some sense. so, i guess what you're saying is that i am not the best judge of people that i can think of? good call. from what i recall, mix was hot in the 80's, but most consider "baby got back" an embarrassment. but there ya go, i'm an aging b-boy living in another city now.

i think people are riding for vitamin d, dv1, jake, dyme def, blue scholars, boom bap, greyskul and chocolate.

So people were riding for Mix-a-lot in the 80's, but you momentarily couldn't think of them. Okay, I got it.

Newsflash...no one really cosigns anything Mix-a-lot related beyond Posse on Broadway. But damned if that song in particular wasn't nationwide huge in a good way and still cosigned (see: Juvenile) to this day.

Also, I've seen you on hear consistently trying way too hard to basically act like boom-bap is the only real version of hip-hop music and while I know some of your cohorts from the Seattle scene would essentially agree with you on that, it doesn't make y'all or your little sub-scene any more important than all of those gangsta rap fans in Seattle that outnumber y'all by the truckload.

Point being, you can't philosophize real people out of being simply by applying a personal standard that says that if they don't believe in a, b, and c that they don't matter.

So people were riding for Mix-a-lot in the 80's, but you momentarily couldn't think of them. Okay, I got it.

Newsflash...no one really cosigns anything Mix-a-lot related beyond Posse on Broadway. But damned if that song in particular wasn't nationwide huge in a good way and still cosigned (see: Juvenile) to this day.

Also, I've seen you on hear consistently trying way too hard to basically act like boom-bap is the only real version of hip-hop music and while I know some of your cohorts from the Seattle scene would essentially agree with you on that, it doesn't make y'all or your little sub-scene any more important than all of those gangsta rap fans in Seattle that outnumber y'all by the truckload.

Point being, you can't philosophize real people out of being simply by applying a personal standard that says that if they don't believe in a, b, and c that they don't matter.

I'm kind of liking how I didn't understand any of that.

• Point being, you can't philosophize real people out of being simply by applying a personal standard that says that if they don't believe in a, b, and c that they don't matter.

Ack! Irony!

Ack! Irony!

Ack! Are you ever going to stop following me around like an unwanted shadow?

• unwanted shadow?

This has happened to you?

"GET AWAY FROM ME, MY SHADOW!"

hahahahahahah thats awesome.

• Newsflash...no one really cosigns anything Mix-a-lot related beyond Posse on Broadway. But damned if that song in particular wasn't nationwide huge in a good way and still cosigned (see: Juvenile) to this day.

Finally! It took a day, but I knew I could get this thread to generate a personal attack and a confusing regional rap-based justification for it.

Now to update my notebook:

HIPHOP NEVER OK TO HATE:
    "Posse On Broadway" by Sir Mix-A-Lot
    Juvenile
    Seattle gangsta rap fans

HIPHOP SOMETIMES OK TO HATE:
    Everything else by Sir Mix-A-Lot
    Seattle boom-bap rap fans

HIPHOP ALWAYS TO OK HATE:
    None of course!

I'm still waiting on that Webstar verdict BTW.

Damn, I didn't mean to push any buttons. I was just genuinely surprised to learn that Seattle does not embrace Sir Mix-A-Lot. Up until now, I practically wished I lived in Seattle just so I could get away with bumping "Buttermilk Biscuits" at house parties more often.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Damn, I didn't mean to push any buttons. I was just genuinely surprised to learn that Seattle does not embrace Sir Mix-A-Lot. Up until now, I practically wished I lived in Seattle just so I could get away with bumping "Buttermilk Biscuits" at house parties more often.

Lived in Seattle my whole life, I bump "Swass" at parties still.

I still remember buying that cassette in 4th grade.

Thats the only album of his I've ever owned though, wait I take that back, I think I used to have the "Seminar" tape at one point.

Canonical passed up "Swass" on vinyl last month while he was here

• So people were riding for Mix-a-lot in the 80's, but you momentarily couldn't think of them. Okay, I got it.

the question was who in the seattle real rap community rides for mix. no one i know now and in the 80s i was in high school in everett and wasn't part of the real rap scene in the town. my man nathan will ride for mix and he lives in everett and was never part of the seattle rap scene, real or not. so, in the 80s who did i know that rode for mix? my guy nasty nes certianly did (see nasty-mix records).

newsflash? i'm a little suprised to hear that cats cosign on "posse on broadway," but i can dig it.

this tells me that you really don't know anything about "my little sub-scene." most of whom do love some gangsta music and who even produce music for some gangsta rappers. and while you're bullshitting, my little sub scene has some world reknown record dudes, djs and producers who love all forms of rap music.

not sure why you're getting my affinity for boom bap (if i indeed have one) confused as being the only style of rap music i like. my personal taste, is my personal taste and i never downplayed anyone's importance to the culture soley based on my opinion of their efforts. my playlist from last weekendend would illustrate this fact. i was never a tupac fan, but come on dude, who can argue his part in this? besides that i am not fond of a lot of boom bap i hear either. i should note that my above statement that seattle cats ride for boom bap meant they ride for the group boom bap project, not so much the boom bap style of rap. if i have indeed offended you by disliking something that you like, then you need to get over yourself.

point being, you can't philosophize real people out of having an opinion whether it cosigns with yours or not. so i like some stuff you don't and vice versa.

who cares?

I appreciate your thoughtful response, but ultimately this tells me all that I needed to know:

i'm a little suprised to hear that cats cosign on "posse on broadway

Of course they do. And for someone who came up in the Seattle scene to think otherwise reeks of haterade to me.