anyone up on the new zealand/flyinng Nun sound?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
The Bats, The Chills, the Tall Dwarfs, The Clean, the Verlaines etc?I've heard so many good things about this music - but I???ve never actually heard it... Can someone recommend?

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I like The Clean -- or I should say I like enough of their songs to fill one really great CD. Their double-disc best of has several nice songs from each era (early 80s to mid-90s), although the earliest stuff has a charm all its own. Their earliest materials has a bit in common with early REM or Camper Van Beethoven, whereas later they went for an almost too-polished neo-psych sound a la Skylarking-era XTC.

On the basis of liking the Clean, I checked out a late-80s video compilation for the Flying Nun label and didn't hear another song that appealed to me. I am interested in checking out Tall Dwarfs more, I believe they're supposed to operate in a Residents/Devo/Half Japanese kind of orbit... but the song or two of theirs I heard on that comp didn't do anything for me.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,111 Posts
    Raer ill Sally Field Kiwi braeks is that shit

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Crucial Chills.

• I'm sure Kris Holmes &/or Doughboy will have some science on Flying Nun - I don't know the label very well at all but remember all the bands mentioned above, and the others below.

Theres a comp called 'Pink Flying Saucers over the Southern Alps' which you could try track down, tracklist here

Bailterspace were my favourite.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Not really my area of expertise I'm afraid. Sorry.