speaking of rap journalism...

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "I Feel Like Dying" gets too much credit - I think Weezy's been stacking new fans post "Carter 2" with any number of different songs that have dropped on one of the gazillion mixtapes he's put out. "I Feel Like Dying," while enjoyable to me, was hardly the crown and in any case, I doubt it, alone, turned more people onto Wayne.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [quote I Feel Like Dying, while enjoyable to me, was hardly the crown and in any case, It turned more hipsters onto Wayne.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "I Feel Like Dying," while enjoyable to me, was hardly the crown and in any case, I doubt it, alone, turned more people onto Wayne.

Weren't there at least two threads in Soulstrut where people were like "Have you heard this 'I Feel Like Dying'?! Wayne is awesome!" threads?

-e

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "I Feel Like Dying," while enjoyable to me, was hardly the crown and in any case, I doubt it, alone, turned more people onto Wayne.

Weren't there at least two threads in Soulstrut where people were like "Have you heard this 'I Feel Like Dying'?! Wayne is awesome!" threads?

-e

Yeah but that doesn't prove anything except that people liked the song. It's not like the threads were,

"OHMYGOD, have you heard of this guy...Little Wayne before? I think they call him Weezy, that's cool! And I dig this crazy song he did about drugs!"

I'm saying - even if there's been a huge bandwagon for Weezy, it's been going on for a few years now. "I Feel Like Dying" might be the pinnacle of that hypery but it's not an island.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Then there's those who are newbies who want simply want to associate themselves with what Phil calls real heads...and in trying way too hard to replicate the real heads' traditional disdain for the South, those dudes are complete assclowns who have no clue whatsoever.

Well the newbies I am talking about LOVE the south...

Do they love the South enough to appreciate Boosie, Maceo and Bg Moe?

Or are they just in it for Wayne, TI and Paul Wall?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Then there's those who are newbies who want simply want to associate themselves with what Phil calls real heads...and in trying way too hard to replicate the real heads' traditional disdain for the South, those dudes are complete assclowns who have no clue whatsoever.

Do they love the South enough to appreciate the far less talented Southern rappers[/b] ?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Do they love the South enough to appreciate Boosie, Maceo and Bg Moe?

Or are they just in it for Wayne, TI and Paul Wall?

I will ask them. All of them.

Yeah, the kids Shied is talking about aren't really concentrated in New York. I don't know if they're really concentrated anywhere in the real world--I only encounter them en masse on the internet.

Or at any given Scion-sponsored show. I heard a dude recently hit a nail on the head by admitting "I'm not even into rap music, I just like mixing and scratching". Not that there is anything wrong with that in and of itself, but such a perspective often comes across to me as a cop-out to account for someone praising half-rap at the same time they're criticizing the real deal.

I'd say Wayne is the hottest rapper amonst the young youfs in my (New York) neighborhood right now.

And I'm glad for that. Neighborhood kids typically don't share the not-so-hidden agendas of hipsters.

I'd say Wayne is the hottest rapper amonst the young youfs in my (New York) neighborhood right now.

Hands down, same goes for Philly.

I think Harvey's making some good points in this thread, but I also think there's a marked difference between old Wayne and new Wayne that need not be broken down into regional aesthetic differences. As far as I'm concerned, technically speaking, Wayne is a lot more interesting now than he ever has been. And when I say "interesting," I'm not just talking about him being "weird" or "eccentric" in a Dipsetty way (which is a point I can totally understand). I find the "I Feel Like Dying" song to be pretty boring and not terribly listenable. It's cute and kitschy and I think it's cool that Wayne is willing to do silly weird stuff like that, but it's not a song I feel compelled to listen to. Where Wayne is most interesting to me is rhythmically and stylistically--and his earlier stuff isn't nearly as interesting in either of these fronts. Obviously, he's not chopping, but a lot of times, dude's more recent stuff sounds like he grew up listening to Fish or Volume 10 or Peace or something--all over the place tonally (but effectively), while also being damn near virtuousic with rhythm (see his "Shouldern Lean" freestyle). While I realize his style is rooted deeply with in a rich NOLA tradition of rap, I find his charm and charismatic "weirdness" has much more in common with the Project Blowed ethos than with Dipset's effortless, fun, Harlem eccentric tradition.

I'd also just like to briefly mention that there's rather obviously been a huge collective conscious shift where "Southern Rap" is a lot more "accepted" now than it was 10+ years ago. I realize Harvey is pretty ambivalent about this shift, but I also think it's a reality and mostly a GOOD THING.

I have no problem admitting that I was not checking for Cash Money records when they came out but now love a lot of it. I apologize for not being the most open minded 15-18 year old kid in the world.

After all that, quite honestly, I think "I Feel Like Dying" is a really wack reason for a lot of people to suddenly love Wayne. One that borders on

-e

I don't think I've ever really heard any Blowed influence/coincidental-similarities out of Wayne.

I'm still waiting for the chance to play the Badstads album for Gerald G though...

Do they love the South enough to appreciate the far less talented Southern rappers[/b] ?

You sure do go out of your way to be as contrary/wrong as possible as often as possible, don't you?

And you know that's a very hipster trait, don't you?

You sure do go out of your way to be as contrary/wrong as possible as often as possible, don't you?

And you know that's a very hipster trait, don't you?

dude it's just unfair of you to hate on someone who likes TI but doens't necesarily love all Southern rappers. TI is the best there is in terms of Southern rappers. so if you like good rappers, you may have love for TI and not necesarily love a lot of other garbage from the South.

your whole "take the good with the (very) bad" approach to regional rap love is admirable, but can lead to absurd results (such as hatting on TI fans for not also showing love to the far, far, far less talented likes of lil Boosie).

I have regional love for my hometown and surrounding area, but it's not totally blind. that's why I ride for E-40 and Turf Talk and Dre Dog the like but I can also excuse myself from the bandwagon and recognize when a dude from my town has no rapping talent -- like San Quinn.

and please to list the "hipster traits" or youre soft. matter of fact start a thread on white hipsters! yay!

I have regional love for my hometown and surrounding area, but it's not totally blind. that's why I ride for E-40 and Turf Talk and Dre Dog the like but I can also excuse myself from the bandwagon and recognize when a dude from my town has no rapping talent -- like San Quinn.

• I have regional love for my hometown and surrounding area, but it's not totally blind. that's why I ride for E-40 and Turf Talk and Dre Dog the like but I can also excuse myself from the bandwagon and recognize when a dude from my town has no rapping talent -- like San Quinn.

You are aware that HarvChaic rides hooard* for San Quinn, right?

YOU ARE ENTERING A WORLD OF HURT.

*Fillmore pronunciation, naturally.

• I can also excuse myself from the bandwagon and recognize when a dude from my town has no rapping talent -- like San Quinn.

Yo you just played yourself.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

-e

Yeah but that doesn't prove anything except that people liked the song. It's not like the threads were,

"OHMYGOD, have you heard of this guy...Little Wayne before? I think they call him Weezy, that's cool! And I dig this crazy song he did about drugs!"

I'm saying - even if there's been a huge bandwagon for Weezy, it's been going on for a few years now. "I Feel Like Dying" might be the pinnacle of that hypery but it's not an island.

What's more interesting about that tune isn't whether or not it's a particular highpoint in his recent output, as much as the unexpected artistic hard-left it was. Good, bad or indifferent, it wasn't an obvious thing to do by any means, and that suggests a rapper that's so at ease with his current form, creatively speaking, that he'll try anything.

I will admit that this factored into my choice of San Quinn as an example.

I will admit that this factored into my choice of San Quinn as an example.

^^^GARDEN VARIETY HIPSTER^^^

dude it's just unfair of you to hate on someone who likes TI but doens't necesarily love all Southern rappers. TI is the best there is in terms of Southern rappers. so if you like good rappers, you may have love for TI and not necesarily love a lot of other garbage from the South.

your whole "take the good with the (very) bad" approach to regional rap love is admirable, but can lead to absurd results (such as hatting on TI fans for not also showing love to the far, far, far less talented likes of lil Boosie).

and please to list the "hipster traits" or youre soft. matter of fact start a thread on white hipsters! yay!