JAMAICAN DUB ...

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
... without vocal drops - HOTT OR NOTT? I say not. I mean, not that I can't feel a dubthat is purely instrumental - but when I listento dub I feel like I'm always waiting on that one line to come floating in, ala "Get my littlesister Sandy ... and my brother Ray, too too too "... and if it never happens, I feel let down. Simplistic argument, I realize - but I am curious howothers feel about it, and maybe someone a little sharper than I can break down what producers are more into thedub w/heavy vocal use and which are more strictly instro?Is it just a matter of "versions" of vocal tracks will havethe drop-ins, while original dub tracks based off familiarrhythms won't? Or even then will a version dub tend to havemore or less vocal use depending on the producer? I would haveto think the latter.Since people like threads better if they have MP3's,here's a 45 I bought today - I haven't heard it yet,I'll just record the first listen, dub-side first:... that dub was nice, but it did illustrate what I amtalking about, too ... it started off using the vocaltrack, but except for that quick "I'm ready ..." about 2/3 of the way in, was instrumental thereafter. If youlistened long enough to hear the vocal side, you know itwas a solid vocal, and would have sounded nice if mixed intothe dub.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    no

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    no

thanks

• BAAABY
    EYYEE
    I
    I

I

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    no, SoulOnAss

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    sigh.

I could type in fake patois ...

YOU SCARED

• I much, much prefer a nice vocal dub. Otherwise, gimme a straight instrumental (version).

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ... without vocal drops - HOTT OR NOTT?

I say not. I mean, not that I can't feel a dub
    that is purely instrumental - but when I listen
    to dub I feel like I'm always waiting on that
    one line to come floating in, ala "Get my little
    sister Sandy ... and my brother Ray, too too too "
    ... and if it never happens, I feel let down.

I assure you that there are many others who feel similarly.

Thank you for speaking out against tepid reggae.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've said this before on the strut, and got gas face but. Although I have a lot of love for dub, it can get predictable and formulaic = boring. Sometimes you can just hear its a real stoned guy, sitting at a mixing desk pushing buttons, drop bass in, cut vocal out, etc..

I still like it, and always enjoy the dub sound system at canival time. But I wouldn't collect, or listen to it, in any quantity. Much rather spend my time on reggae and dancehall.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Yeah I have to agree, I likes the vocals in my dub.
    If you don't have any vocals, you better have some crazy
    effects going on.
    The only time I dig a whole album of version is if
    it's got a track that I can use for mixing.
    It's nice to have a instrumenttal when you are
    running through a bunch of tunes on the sleng teng etc.
    Speaking of I need to post this crazy super dub version
    of Sleng Teng from this 12" I have.

• I agree that dub can get really boring and formulaic - I am becoming totally desensitized to the sound. Someone take these dub records from me.

That said, if it's a good dub, it doesn't NEED to have vocals.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Someone take these dub records from me.

I'm trying. Piece by glorious piece. I love all dub...even the "boring" kind. But I do agree the best kind is with the vocal drop offs