there a heavier Beatles song than Helter Skelter?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
i mean heavy as in loud n' proud and blown out sounding. i can't think of any that come close. this came on the shuffle and it still is weird to me that it's a paul song and can't believe it's him when he is all "i get to the bottom and i SEE YOU AGAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN YEAHYEAHYEAH....[/b]" he sounds crazed and has a good rock scream. woulda been nice to hear more of those kind of vocals from him instead of that whimsical old timey crud

Comments

• AGREED.

EXCEPT FOR THE LAST PART.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cosign. And even though it's Paul, this is one of my all-time favourite songs. The live version he did recently almost made me break my TV it was so bad. Having you heard of leaving a good thing alone? Apparently not.

I like the Siouxsie and the Banshees version too.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I agree - don't think there's anything in their whole catalogue that comes close to the whiling out on that one. Always loved the simple bobbing bass line in the verses. Probably the closest thing for McCartney's vocals was Got to Get You into My Life near the end where he starts trying to channel a soul singer, always wish that one went on for another minute or so.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yeah, I think he has a good rock scream on "Revolution" too, but that's the only other song I can think of.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Yer Blues" & "I Want You" come close, but yeah, "Helter Skelter" probably wins.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    "Don't let Me Down" is Paul doing some great soul/blues shouts, and coincidently is my fav. Beatles song

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    wait, that was Paul right?

• I read somewhere that he was inspired to write that song after reading a review for The Who's "I Can See For Miles" which called it the heaviest, rawest song ever (something like that), and he wanted to write a song that fit that description, without ever hearing "I Can See.."

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    wait, that was Paul right?

It was a John song, but Paul did the backing vox.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "Yer Blues" & "I Want You" come close, but yeah, "Helter Skelter" probably wins.

Obviously I Want You is the heaviest Beatles song. Paul's bass line is what makes I Want You (She's So Heavy) listenable.

For rocking out there is the fast version of Revolution, as has been said.

Everyone probaly knows that Helter Skelter was the name of an amusment park ride. "When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide..."

Come Together isn't as hard rock, but a better all out great rock song. Again Paul's bass.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Paul invented modern rock bass playing.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I've always been a huge fan of "The End" from Abbey Road... it's a pretty heavy rocker.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Husker Du version of 'Helter Skelter' piles on the heavy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Husker Du version of 'Helter Skelter' piles on the heavy.

DON'T FORGET THE CR&UumlE

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    the Pixies version of "Wild Honey Pie" =

the Breeders have a good version (yeah, that just happened) of "Happiness is a Warm Gun"

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    the Pixies version of "Wild Honey Pie" =

the Breeders have a good version (yeah, that just happened) of "Happiness is a Warm Gun"

do u have either of these u could upload??

i like the acoustic version happiness is a warm gun on anthology 3 ! effin dope

also the helter skelter on thaer is pretty dopee

Pixies: "Wild Honey Pie" from 'the Pixies BBC Sessions'

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah Yer Blues is pretty heavy. nothing really compares to the herky-jerky pacing of Helter though and when it dives into that "WAO WAO WAO" the bass sound is punchy & blistering & & and i love it. also am i crazy or does paul sounds like he could be vocal twins with rob tyner

i like the first breeders album but i skip happiness usually. i like it okay until it gets to the ending. i am not feeling that dainty ending. i just think the orig is untouchable

anyway, i have it handy

i like the first breeders album but i skip happiness usually. i like it okay until it gets to the ending. i am not feeling that dainty ending. i just think the orig is untouchable

i tend to agree with you there, although i just skip the ending of the song as opposed to the whole thing. i like to pretend that tanya donnelly was never in the breeders, and blame any of the crappy early breeders stuff on her, including the ending to that song.

• yeah but, goddamn, steve albini's production is
    i'd like to hear shellac do a whole album of beatles covers.