Worst Week In American Sports History

13»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Soccer will be big in the US one day soon. Too bad the SS masses don't realize that just cuz you ain't watching, doesn't mean that a lot of other folks arent paying attention.

"Fuck Elvis, I'm listening to Perry Como!"

Soccer just needs more superstars in America.

Soccer is the Perry Como of Sports

"...white people like hockey because it makes soccer seem like lacrosse...and Perry Como...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

There may be hope for the NHL afterall.

bicycling = tour de france disaster

are people following what has been going on this week??

the top rider just got kicked off his team for suspician of doping. dude had been leading the race for something like 7 straight days.

Here in Dallas the Tour De France has been a BIG deal over the last 7-8 years because of Lance Armstrong.

This year, virtually no mention whatsoever.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

the top rider just got kicked off his team for suspician of doping lying to his team.

The Tour de France has been all but ruined over the past few years.

They should just make doping legal, that would solve everything.

B/W

I love how I've somehow become the MLS apologist in this thread.
    I do watch MLS games, but I'm not a big fan. I would much rather watch
    EPL or Serie A football. Citing the Cosmos' lack of success 30 years
    ago is silly, though - there were not 2 generations of children then who
    had grown up in the USA playing soccer all through their school years ...
    and, the MLS is now a decade old, and has been growing every year in
    skill and popularity. I agree that unless they can compete with the
    Euro clubs in attracting talent, they will always be the sad sister
    of the sport, but many of you dudes are unwilling to accept the fact
    that things DO change over time, and while you have grown up seeing
    soccer treated as a joke, 3rd-rate sport in the US, and it still is
    by your peers and on sports radio, etc - it is nonethless the fastest
    growing spectator sport in the country, while the other sports are
    in a downturn or level at best. Only the NFL is still as strong today
    as it was 5 years ago, admittedly maybe stronger. Must be due to
    all that "fantasy league" exposure. :eyeroll:

• My only deal w/ the soccer is they were saying that same stuff the one year I played as an 8th grader in 1988 and you'rE only seeing a fraction of the impact but I don't know the numbers. I take my cues from what I see getting coverage. And not fake coverage like this Beckham shit that nobody cares about.

SOUL ON ICE PLAESE TO SEND ME YR EMAIL I WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU GET A "PERSONAL" INVITE TO THE SOULSTRUT FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

And the reason the NFL constantly does well is they have the best product, we all know that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lacrosse is the future.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I desperately love baseball, but I boycotted baseball for two years after the 94 strike. .

THIS WHOLE YEAR MY MY YEAR.

The EXPOS were robbed!

Sorry fellas, that was the White Sox's year.

This has been quite a rough week for sports at large. Never a good thing, it seems, when sports start finding their way into general news stories. Sadly, it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

I think America will take a collective "I just puked a little in my mouth" when Barry breaks the record.

I was watching a special on Hank Aaron for a few minutes the other day, and he was sitting at a lunch counter and the waitress, who might have been his girlfriend, asked,

"What do you want to drink? Oh, I don't even need to ask. Milk."

Hank seemed like a dude who had a pretty good understanding of his place in the world, and he didn't take it lightly.

Parcour[/b] is the future.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    One thing MLS has going for it at this point that hockey does not is that they have the WORLDWIDE LEADER behind them. As long as ESPN has your rights, they will pump it hard on their other shows, etc.

with no hockey on espn, they will try to BURY you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

SOUL ON ICE PLAESE TO SEND ME YR EMAIL I WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU GET A "PERSONAL" INVITE TO THE SOULSTRUT FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

And the reason the NFL constantly does well is they have the best product, we all know that.

Please not to get it twisted - I am a rabid NFL fan and watch
    as many games as possible during the season.

Sheeeeiiiiiit - when you got the best team in the game playing
    10 miles from your house, how can you not tune in?

As for Fantasy League, no thanks. I don't need a season of watching
    NFL GAMEDAY like, "YES! Jake the Snake LIT IT UP! Now I'm golden for
    the week!" I'd rather just watch to see them play, that's enough for me.

FWIW I don't play the lottery, either.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    One thing MLS has going for it at this point that hockey does not is that they have the WORLDWIDE LEADER behind them. As long as ESPN has your rights, they will pump it hard on their other shows, etc.

with no hockey on espn, they will try to BURY you.

Yes!

As a hockey and soccer fan I completely agree. Watching the NHL playoffs on whatever they call the Outdoor network sucked big time, just a step above watching Univision soccer game, which is pretty bad, and I'm not talking about the Spanish telecasters but the deplorable camera crews.

Sure, the CN Hockey telecasts were great but not quite ESPN quality. Now we have MSL Thursday Night Primetime or whatever on ESPN2.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

They just had the CONCACAF Gold Cup a bit back and the game between the US & Mexico drew 41% more viewers than the Stanley Cup. And that was just on Univision.

I read recently that a college Lacrosse game had more cable TV viewers than a New Jersey Devils game.

From a 2007 Copa Oro Semi-Final.

"TeleFutura captured the #1 rank for the Thursday 10-11pm time period out-delivering all other broadcast networks, English or Spanish, including ABC, CBS, NBC, Azteca Am??rica, and Telemundo among Adults 18-34"

"In addition, it propelled TeleFutura to the #2 ranking for the entire night among Men out-delivering NBC, CBS & ABC"

"TeleFutura also outdelivered the combined primetime audiences for the entire night of CBS and ABC among Men 18-34"

Sure, it might never be bigger than any major US sport in the US. But in the big picture, I'm sure it's fine if it never catches on in the US...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

the top rider just got kicked off his team for suspician of doping. dude had been leading the race for something like 7 straight days.

Recent photo of the U.S. Cycling Team

Dog Fighting > National Football League

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

Here in Dallas the Tour De France has been a BIG deal over the last 7-8 years because of Lance Armstrong.

This year, virtually no mention whatsoever.

Hell Naw son, there aint no Texans init, sheeet...dont care 'bout no frog bike race without a Texan in there openin' up a can a whoop ass on 'em....heeeeee haaaawwwwww!

• And the reason the NFL constantly does well is they have the best product, we all know that.

You know what dude, why don't you go back to your home (aka the NBA thread), we know you're not versatile at this sports business.

You know what dude, why don't you go back to your home (aka the NBA thread), we know you're not versatile at this sports business.

Sensitive,Emotional?

• And the reason the NFL constantly does well is they have the best product, we all know that.

Sensitive,Emotional?

Buh-bye.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    UFC is going to take all of them over...

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Actually, one of the biggest problems that soccer faces in becoming a major American sport is the difficulty of advertising during soccer games. Without endless timeouts for commercials networks can't make as much money broadcasting soccer. Were it not for this fact soccer would have gotten "the push" from major sports media a long time ago.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Actually, one of the biggest problems that soccer faces in becoming a major American sport is the difficulty of advertising during soccer games. Without endless timeouts for commercials networks can't make as much money broadcasting soccer. Were it not for this fact soccer would have gotten "the push" from major sports media a long time ago.

perhaps...but trust me AIG, Samsung, Fly Emrites and Carlsberg have it pretty damn good.

trust me, i fucking hated vodafone for a long time, without ever even knowing what it was.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

the tour is a fucking joke. i don't even bother trying to figure out who's doping and who's not now, because i realized that they all are. armstrong, landis, ullrich, etc etc all did and now i wonder if my heroes of yore (ie indurain) did or not.

trust me, i fucking hated vodafone for a long time, without ever even knowing what it was.

yeah Vodafone had the Euro soccer ad space on LOCK. I, too, was quite annoyed by this cellular provider for a long time.