Bitters - Drink Recipes?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I copped a bottle of bitters recently and I dont know what do w/ it?"Bartenders/Drankers/Lushes/Alkies/Winesnobs" report to the DJ booth and give me some ideas.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    which brand or which type of bitters did you buy?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Whiskey + ginger ale or club soda with a couple dashes of bitters is good. I like bitters a lot.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    you know, even just putting it in a San Pellgrino or ginger ale is good. Even if you have a messed up stomach.

And of course, the obvious, manhattans. I bartend and sometimes early in the night we get an older crowd. The old men loooove their manhattans for sure (and the young, too!) and there are some who totally disagree about having bitters in their drink. That it is not the recipe! I dunno, not a big deal at all, but found it interesting.

Hereis a link to some recipes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Angostura is really good to enhance the flavor of many drinks and dishes, but you have to try and you have to be careful with the amount of Angostura you add. Manhattan is the most obvious choice. I also like a dash of Angostura in more fruity drinks.

Angostura is really good to enhance the flavor of many drinks and dishes, but you have to try and you have to be careful with the amount of Angostura you add. Manhattan is the most obvious choice. I also like a dash of Angostura in more fruity drinks.

So adding "bitters" would sort of cut the sugary/fruity drink. Kinda like a balance so its not a sy8 sweetbomb?

Ive seen a recipe for Gin & Tonic w/ a dash of bitters. No lime. I usually throw a serrano pepper in my G&T.
    I wonder if bitters will compliment,mask,or clash w/ my combo.

I guess ill have to simply experiment.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I love me some soda water/sparkling water with bitters and a squeeze of lemon...most refreshing drink on the planet...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I love me some soda water/sparkling water with bitters and a squeeze of lemon...most refreshing drink on the planet...

especially when you are out with some friends, and they want to get wasted. I will order this from time to time. Has alcohol, but not a lot.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Moscow Mule

Vodka
    Lime juice
    Sugar syrup (2:1 sugar:water)
    bitters
    ginger beer

Rum Punch

Lime juice
    Sugar syrup
    a good amber Rum
    water, or pinapple orange mix
    bitters

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

my "i'm not drinking tonight" drink is 1/2 orange juice (or 1/3 bar orange juice), 1/2 club soda, and a dash of bitters...

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Old Fashioned:

Muddle together:
    1 maraschino cherry
    1 wedge of orange
    1 sugar cube (or 1/4 oz. simple syrup)
    7 shakes of bitters
    splash of soda water

top with one shot of whiskey (I like bourbon, some prefer Canadian)
    and ice to fill

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

technically Campari is a kind of bitters.
    Who doesn't like sipping on Campari and soda while playing Style Council albums on the vintage hi-fi?

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    try a couple dashes in a pint of guiness....recommended

try a couple dashes in a pint of guiness....recommended

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    a half shot of bitters will do two things:
    give you the
    and cure hiccups.

I drink a lot of manhattans. Yes, bitters are in the recepie. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.