Options

Deep/Dark Soul

edited June 2007 in Strut Central
A friend asked me if I was into the Deep/Dark Soul. I didn't know if he was refering to drugs or what. I thought i could be associated with the south? i wondered if it would be funk/soul or jazz/soul or some spin of folk. anyway, i dunno if he is refering to something specific or not?I thought of ester phillips and then some older trios

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    um..we've been talking about TOTAL ALT ROCK ALL DAY LONG!?

plaese don't EVEN bring up soul...I mean, WTF?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• James Carr maybe?

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    James Carr maybe?

It would have to be "A Man Needs a Woman"... but even then that doesn't exactly strike me as "dark soul", downbeat yes... in fact, that term almost would seem to be a contradiction given that soul music in essence is soulful/spirited music...

• Options
    um..we've been talking about TOTAL ALT ROCK ALL DAY LONG!?

plaese don't EVEN bring up soul...I mean, WTF?

Come on. Is this really how you interpreted my post. This guy looked to me to find him something that he called "dark soul". I assumed that he was not talking Mayfield or Redding or records on major labels. I figured he probably had heard something somewhere that he liked and thought I would like too.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• Options
    yeah...
    ESTHER PHILLIPS - from a whisper to a scream

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    a couple ideas that might fit the category:

gloria ann taylor - world that's not real
    cleo randle - big city lights

• how is this?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i don't know too many of the details behind this track, but

Cresa Watson - "dead"

always hit me as really really dark.

how is this?

• Finally, you posted a mp3 with this 45 wasnt about to beg, but you flashed it three times and no audio to enjoy, funky for sure, this one needs to be owned so you can speed the beat up. Thanks

• Options
    yea, thank you hammertime, that song is as sweet as a little white dimpled spider, fat like a new born baby...ehehehe

ask and ye shall receive.

• how is this?

cool, thanks. the track is cool, the vocals seem a little un-inspired though compared to syl's wailing and guitar.