Your thoughts?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    oh my.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    oh my black silken druid robe

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You know, I knew a guy in high school named Dupri, and I'm pretty sure any guy in high school named Dupri is gonna be bad news. Well this guy, I have no idea how old he was, but I am sure he was never in class and was probably never enrolled to begin with. Dupri had some issues upstairs, which could partially be blamed on his father who wore a military uniform every day and shouted instructions to his son as if their ramshackle south Berkeley bungalow were an off-site bootcamp extension.

Said Seargant-turned-father once scolded Dupri for bringing me into his home, claiming that my parents would never allow his Black ass in mine... this was patently false as Dupri often slept on the couch, raided my mom's fridge, and - while I have no proof, I'm pretty damn sure - made off with several bottles of bootleg Coolwater from my bathroom.

Anyways, Dupri hung around the rapp crew, yet his sole recorded work was 3 minutes of serious, velvet-smooth background vocals - you know: a "whooo!" here, an "aaah yeah" there, a veritable Soul Brother #1 of the East Bay Backpack Rap Scene - on an old demo tape of mines.

Dupri's main claim to fame was these airbrushed panels depicting outerspace landscapes and floating shapes. Nothing better than what you might find at a run-down mall in a slummy exurb, but to us... this was creativity (maaaaan). Spheres (pronounced "spears"), circles - no, ciphers - and pyramids were predictable favorites. "Yo, it's like... it's like the earth, see [fingers curled underneith, presenting this shit like a stoned Vanna White who traded in her vowels for a paint kit] and yo... THE PYRAMIDS." Faded out of our gourds, this was pretty damn ill. "yooo..... FRESH."

I never found out What Happened To That Boy - he had a breakdown, but last I saw was back on the skreets (and this time, he had flows, dude) - but this album cover could totally be his own work.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

You know, I knew a guy in high school named Dupri, and I'm pretty sure any guy in high school named Dupri is gonna be bad news. Well this guy, I have no idea how old he was, but I am sure he was never in class and was probably never enrolled to begin with. Dupri had some issues upstairs, which could partially be blamed on his father who wore a military uniform every day and shouted instructions to his son as if their ramshackle south Berkeley bungalow were an off-site bootcamp extension.

Said Seargant-turned-father once scolded Dupri for bringing me into his home, claiming that my parents would never allow his Black ass in mine... this was patently false as Dupri often slept on the couch, raided my mom's fridge, and - while I have no proof, I'm pretty damn sure - made off with several bottles of bootleg Coolwater from my bathroom.

Anyways, Dupri hung around the rapp crew, yet his sole recorded work was 3 minutes of serious, velvet-smooth background vocals - you know: a "whooo!" here, an "aaah yeah" there, a veritable Soul Brother #1 of the East Bay Backpack Rap Scene - on an old demo tape of mines.

Dupri's main claim to fame was these airbrushed panels depicting outerspace landscapes and floating shapes. Nothing better than what you might find at a run-down mall in a slummy exurb, but to us... this was creativity (maaaaan). Spheres (pronounced "spears"), circles - no, ciphers - and pyramids were predictable favorites. "Yo, it's like... it's like the earth, see [fingers curled underneith, presenting this shit like a stoned Vanna White who traded in her vowels for a paint kit] and yo... THE PYRAMIDS." Faded out of our gourds, this was pretty damn ill. "yooo..... FRESH."

I never found out What Happened To That Boy - he had a breakdown, but last I saw was back on the skreets (and this time, he had flows, dude) - but this album cover could totally be his own work.

This reminds me of a dude I went to high school with, whom I shall refer to as Hummus--a slight variation on his actual name--in order to protect his anonymity. Hummus was a senior when I was a freshman, but I felt like the gap in social capital that separated us was far wider then three years. He seemed like the coolest dude ever to me at the time. In my mental picture of him, he's rocking a pair of olive-green overall shorts (with one strap unfastened) over an orange sweater, a 'fit that he actually favored--see what I mean? The coolest dude ever. He was a reasonably gifted artist and he'd do these stylized pencil portraits of musicians that he liked, that were composed of hundreds of tiny curlicues. At the time it was impressive to me. Towards the end of my freshman year I remember him telling everybody about going to see Lenny Kravitz. And--guess what?--he got to meet Lenny! And--guess what!?--Lenny invited him to come party after the show! Aaaaaand--guess what!?--Lenny was really feeling the portrait that Hummus did of him and is gonna use it as the inside artwork for his next album! Whoah! It seemed completely plausible to my 15 year old self that Lenny would gaze down from the stage at the Omni and identify Hummus as the coolest dude in the arena--as somebody that he had to hang with before leaving Atlanta. It was a good six months later--and Hummus had at that point moved onto the post-Shiloh High School world--that I realized Lenny Kravitz's next album wasn't really going to feature his artwork.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This reminds me of a dude I went to high school with, whom I shall refer to as Hummus--a slight variation on his actual name--in order to protect his anonymity. Hummus was a senior when I was a freshman, but I felt like the gap in social capital that separated us was far wider then three years. He seemed like the coolest dude ever to me at the time. In my mental picture of him, he's rocking a pair of olive-green overall shorts (with one strap unfastened) over an orange sweater, a 'fit that he actually favored--see what I mean? The coolest dude ever. He was a reasonably gifted artist and he'd do these stylized pencil portraits of musicians that he liked, that were composed of hundreds of tiny curlicues. At the time it was impressive to me. Towards the end of my freshman year I remember him telling everybody about going to see Lenny Kravitz. And--guess what?--he got to meet Lenny! And--guess what!?--Lenny invited him to come party after the show! Aaaaaand--guess what!?--Lenny was really feeling the portrait that Hummus did of him and is gonna use it as the inside artwork for his next album! Whoah! It seemed completely plausible to my 15 year old self that Lenny would gaze down from the stage at the Omni and identify Hummus as the coolest dude in the arena--as somebody that he had to hang with before leaving Atlanta. It was a good six months later--and Hummus had at that point moved onto the post-Shiloh High School world--that I realized Lenny Kravitz's next album wasn't really going to feature his artwork.

I'm just trying to figure out what dude's real name is. Humungous?

-e

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

the coquettish nibbling on the sunglass stem is too much.

is that what's cool to be???

• I'm just trying to figure out what dude's real name is. Humungous?

-e

Babaganoush?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    His name was Daniel Green.

the coquettish nibbling on the sunglass stem is too much.

is that what's cool to be???

Emphatically not. Who would want to be that?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Who would want to be that?

you may as well come all the way out the, uh... nevermind.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Humungous?
    My money's on "Thomas."

Jonny's killing me with this shit, though:
    "Yo, it's like... it's like the earth, see [fingers curled underneith, presenting this shit like a stoned Vanna White who traded in her vowels for a paint kit] and yo... THE PYRAMIDS."
    Over the course of my high-school and early college years, I found myself embroiled in dozens of exchanges almost exactly like this one, with only slight variations: "It's like earth/school/the ocean/The Projects/Robin's living room, see, and yo...PYRAMIDS!/INFINTY!/EGYPT!/ATLANTIS!/OUTER SPACE!" (Honorable mention: "It's like a rat, see, and yo...HE'S BEHIND A WEED LEAF! WITH A BLUNT! AND A FORTY! AND HE'S WEARING AN EARRING!")

"Yo, it's like... it's like the earth, see [fingers curled underneith, presenting this shit like a stoned Vanna White who traded in her vowels for a paint kit] and yo... THE PYRAMIDS."
    Over the course of my high-school and early college years, I found myself embroiled in dozens of exchanges almost exactly like this one, with only slight variations: "It's like earth/school/the ocean/The Projects/Robin's living room, see, and yo...PYRAMIDS!/INFINTY!/EGYPT!/ATLANTIS!/OUTER SPACE!" (Honorable mention: "It's like a rat, see, and yo...HE'S BEHIND A WEED LEAF! WITH A BLUNT! AND A FORTY! AND HE'S WEARING AN EARRING!")

Eveything is everything

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

^^^Portrait of a tough guy^^^

• ^^^Portrait of a tough guy^^^

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I'm just trying to figure out what dude's real name is. Humungous?

-e

Babaganoush?

Oh, come now. I think it's quite obvious his name was Tumnus.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Eveything is everything

Knowledged.

Some context: Those first several examples are actual facts manifested by high-school classmates of mine, their speakers pretty evenly divided among Girls In Black and Dudes With Flat-Tops of Varying Complexity. The latter contingent got their thunder stoled, though, when some kind of Doctor-York-esque storefront outpost opened in my small South Carolina town and began speading their word and selling merch; once it became possible to go downtown and get commercially produced prints of a dreadlocked Jesus holding an electric guitar in one hand and a scroll with seven ears in the other and a bejeweled flying saucer hovering godlike in the background, earth-plus-pyramids-yo really couldn't hang. That last example was courtesy of a dude hollering into my ear at an X-Clan concert in, like, 1993, tryna get me to draw him a tattoo.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Common ripped off Yung Phoc's latest mixtape cover???
    IMG SRC=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7127/kmcovertr6.jpg>
    Treacherous.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Common ripped off Yung Phoc's latest mixtape cover???
    IMG SRC=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7127/kmcovertr6.jpg>
    Treacherous.

AND you got him in your avatar.

Lovely.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

AND you got STRIKE>him/STRIKE> Sergio in your avatar.

IMG SRC=http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2373/spsergff2.jpg>

Delicious.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Yeah, I was making a funny.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Not only an artistic tour-de-force but an amazing celebration of the human spirit. To call this creation a simple "album cover" would be doing it a complete and total diservice. I for one can place this creation next such influential works like The Mona Lisa, Monet's Waterlilles and if I was ever so bold; dogs playing poker.

FINDING FOREVER....JULY SNITCHES! IT'S GOING TO BE A HOT SUMMER
    P.S.

Quo:

You need to get off my dick.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this thread is great

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

IMG SRC=http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2373/spsergff2.jpg>

Delicious.

I saw this out yesterday and guess who came to mind?

Goes well with Sergio!

• You know, I knew a guy in high school named Dupri, and I'm pretty sure any guy in high school named Dupri is gonna be bad news. Well this guy, I have no idea how old he was, but I am sure he was never in class and was probably never enrolled to begin with. Dupri had some issues upstairs, which could partially be blamed on his father who wore a military uniform every day and shouted instructions to his son as if their ramshackle south Berkeley bungalow were an off-site bootcamp extension.

I just learned that Dupri died in a car wreck 3 years ago. Damn.