The Reverend Carlton Coleman - Rock Gospel Time LP

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
How is this LP? I'm a huge fan of The Boo Boo Song (downright revelatory) but lukewarm on Rock Gospel Mash. I'm guessing that this is more like RGM and less like his R&B madness with TBBS and Hully-Gully.

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    it's got some insane funk cuts on there BUT his voice gets annoying imo. i think we've got a soundclip over in the 'resource' section of glmag...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    'Share it' is the cut.

Available on 45 too.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I played 'share it' out at a funk gig a while back. I don't remember anything else on this record being noteworthy though. Great track but his voice kinda waivers throughout the song!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    separated at birth?

peace, stein. . .

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Are you sample spotting Stein?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think it's fascinating as a cultural curio.

As a listening experience? Not so much.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Sounds about right. Unless "Boo Boo" leaves you cold - and then:

May God save your mortal soul.

Stay under 20, then?

Sounds about right. Unless "Boo Boo" leaves you cold

Don't think it's on there--I believe that's the full tracklist on the front cover.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Don't think it's on there--I believe that's the full tracklist on the front cover.

Right - I mean - I just referenced it as a stylistic touchpoint. Thanks for the summary. Drat! I was hoping for more from this LP.

I wonder if the Reverend moniker is self-applied or not.

Right - I mean - I just referenced it as a stylistic touchpoint. Thanks for the summary. Drat! I was hoping for more from this LP.

Well, I don't know that there's a formal accrediting body for reverends--it's more about whether or not you can convince people to come and listen to you on Sundays, and Coleman seems to have been successful in doing so at an address listed on the LP sleeve that happens to be right down the block from my apartment.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Well, I don't know that there's a formal accrediting body for reverends--it's more about whether or not you can convince people to come and listen to you on Sundays, and Coleman seems to have been successful in doing so at an address listed on the LP sleeve that happens to be right down the block from my apartment.

Huh. Wait 'til my father learns that Moody, McCormick, Trinity and the whole public kneeling thing could have been leapfrogged.

(Nevertheless, I'd rather listen to Carlton preach )

Huh. Wait 'til my father learns that Moody, McCormick, Trinity and the whole public kneeling thing could have been leapfrogged.

Don't be silly--I think you know what I mean. Obviously, all the major denominations have means of accrediting people. I think Coleman had a Harlem storefront church, though--his means of validation was in convincing people to come hear him deliver the word.

So if you're asking whether it was self-applied in the sense that it didn't come from a nationally-recognized body, then the answer is probably yes, but if you're asking whether it was self-applied in the sense that he was a reverend in his own mind only and not anybody else's, then I think the answer is no.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Don't be silly--I think you know what I mean. Obviously, all the major denominations have means of accrediting people. I think Coleman had a Harlem storefront church, though--his means of validation was in convincing people to come hear him deliver the word.

So if you're asking whether it was self-applied in the sense that it didn't come from a nationally-recognized body, then the answer is probably yes, but if you're asking whether it was self-applied in the sense that he was a reverend in his own mind only and not anybody else's, then I think the answer is no.

I did wonder if Mr. Coleman was a preacher or was just using the word in the Gene McDaniels sense.

As for the ensuing post, it was rhetorical; I was spoofing the White method of Official Accreditation as I have experienced it. And I'd still rather hear Mr. Coleman.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I did wonder if Mr. Coleman was a preacher or was just using the word in the Gene McDaniels sense.

I don't know whether he got the proper whatever to be a preacher, but I do understand that religion is a major reason why he left the R&B orbit behind. I've got his CD comp on Norton; maybe I should consult the liner notes when I get home. Although, like rockabilly queen Wanda Jackson (who also turned to the gospel world), he does do the occasional secular show here and there.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Okay, there's a missing piece of the story here - is he still at that address? If not, what's at that location now?

(From what I understand, King/Rev. Coleman is now based in Florida.)

Okay, there's a missing piece of the story here - is he still at that address? If not, what's at that location now?

(From what I understand, King/Rev. Coleman is now based in Florida.)

I traded my copy of the LP awhile back--if somebody that has a copy will repost the address, I'll investigate.