Digital Photography Problem...

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm having trouble getting clear pictures of matte red labels on records. The pictures always come out with some unacceptable amount of blur or obfuscation. I don't have the same problem with other color labels or even glossy red labels really.What should I be doing lighting-wise or camera setting-wise to avoid this type of problem? Is it some sort of communist plot? Rich?

Comments

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I had problems shooting a matte red scooter for an ad, was giving me heinous problems. Ended up chucking a green gel over a light and then just colour correcting in photoshop and combining the two photos.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    What sort of camera are you using? Do you have Photoshop?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fuji FinePix, 4.1 Megapixel; yeah, I have Photoshop.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Fuji FinePix, 4.1 Megapixel; yeah, I have Photoshop.

I remember using a FinePix back in the day for some ecommerce and it was really hard to get a nice clear shot. I always go with canon and pentax cameras...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i dont know why youre confused about getting a good pic...the pic in your avatar looks nice (no homo)..

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i know this is a no-brainer kind of queston but are you using the macro setting? if so, i would also try setting the white balance to 'fluorescent' cause red doesn't come out hot all the time with incandescent lighting in the area

• i know this is a no-brainer kind of queston but are you using the macro setting?

^^^^^

or a tripod. maybe step back a bit from what youre shooting too. if its a nice day go outside and shoot it there.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    unrelated question:

I have both a 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 lens that were fairly affordable but I've been looking for a fast 28mm and the 1.4 models are crazy $$$. Is it harder to achieve faster speeds the wider the lens gets?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    way beyond the scope of rey rey's problem but.....

f1.4 is pro lens territory. No consumer models offer such speed, so you will have to pay to play. It's just the way things are....

For the avg shooter, the 3-4x $ bump from f1.8 to f1.4 is hard to swallow.