Why Roger Clemens why?

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm getting ready to go toss myself off a building after Andy alone.The Rockets and the Rocket both burn out in one weekend. Not a good look for Htown sports fans. I cry.

Comments

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Can't put your hopes on a mercenary, man.

When they induct him into the HOF, his cap should not be BoSox or Stros or Yanks or Blue Jays. It should just have a dollar sign on it.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I would have loved Roger to have made peace with Boston, but now I know longer view him as a member of the Red Sox, eventhough he spent his prime there.
    It's always been about him and him alone - i think he should go to the Hall of Fame with no team cap.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Jesus...the ESPN headline reads, "Clemens to make about $4.5 million per month."

"He agreed to a one-year contract for $28,000,022 -- the last two digits matching his uniform number -- that will start when he is added to the major league roster for his first start, most likely in three to four weeks. Clemens will earn about $18.5 million under the deal, which will cost the Yankees approximately $7.4 million in additional luxury tax, meaning they are investing about $26 million in a seven-time Cy Young Award winner who will turn 45 in August."

I don't care if he never wins another game.

Goddamn, it sucks to be an Astros fan.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

When they induct him into the HOF, his cap should not be BoSox or Stros or Yanks or Blue Jays. It should just have a dollar sign on it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• When they induct him into the HOF, his cap should not be BoSox or Stros or Yanks or Blue Jays. It should just have a dollar sign on it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This is going to make the AL East a lot more interesting. Still, at least he's being consistent. He said before the season that he wanted to go to the team (out of Houston, Boston and New York) that needed him most, yet had a realistic chance to go all the way. He's not going to find a team that fits the bill this year better than the Yankees. They need starting pitching help desperately right now.

Well, they needed starting pitching help. Now, the Sox need to put as much distance between themselves and the Yanks as they can before Roger's return.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Why Roger Clemens why?

Because his annual doping ritual will be undetectable by then. See: last year.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here's what I would like to know.....

Do you think he threw a single pitch in order to entice the Yankees into signing him or did they do it sight unseen.

I wish nothing but failure on Roger.....unless of course I can pick him up in one of my Fantasy leagues!!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    Why Roger Clemens why?

Because his annual doping ritual will be undetectable by then. See: last year.

how will clemens turn around that pitching staff? unless he's a mircale working doctor how does the yankee faithful think a pitcher who will pitch once every 5 games turn the season around?

i really dont think the red sox need him, that starting pitching staff barring injury is stacked!!!

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    roger is mad wack and very hittable,bring that ass to pitch at shea and see what reyes and wright will do!!!

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts

yeah i know,we'll see you again

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

how will clemens turn around that pitching staff? unless he's a mircale working doctor how does the yankee faithful think a pitcher who will pitch once every 5 games turn the season around?

They've been pretty poor so far, but they've also been injured. Going into the beginning of the week, they'd started 10 different pitchers in 30 games. You know that sort of injury streak won't last.

Here's their starting 5 now, barring injury:

Clemens
    Mussina
    Pettitte
    Wang
    Hughes

That's solid, especially in a short series. And that's what the playoffs are all about, no?

i really dont think the red sox need him, that starting pitching staff barring injury is stacked!!!

Yes. Yes, we are. We don't need Clemens. Not now, at least. However, we had seven viable starting pitchers going into the season last year, and due to a ridiculous spate of injuries, we were starting dudes named Kyle Snyder and Kason Gabbard before the year was out.

You can never have enough pitching in this league. Never.