Amy Winehouse just KILLING IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Would she be a big deal is she wasn't white?

CUE "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN PAGE 10" GRAEMLIN!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Good Question

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

Sorry, but
    Back to Black, for instance, is far more interesting than anything Sharon Jones did with the Dap Kings. And thanks to Ronson it's a solid, highly "listenable" album.

I ride hard for Amy. Love her. Her eyeliner, too, which reminds me of '50s rockabilly style. Her voice is raw and imperfect, and she's mad troubled but so was Mary on My Life. But I hope now that Amy's married she doesn't turn all happy and boring like Mary did when she found love.

• Hey now, what are you saying about Sharon?

• A lot of avid pitchfork readers up in this piece.

Sorry, but
    Back to Black, for instance, is far more interesting than anything Sharon Jones did with the Dap Kings. And thanks to Ronson it's a solid, highly "listenable" album.

I ride hard for Amy. Love her. Her eyeliner, too, which reminds me of '50s rockabilly style. Her voice is raw and imperfect, and she's mad troubled but so was Mary on My Life. But I hope now that Amy's married she doesn't turn all happy and boring like Mary did when she found love.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

So NAGLY.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like that "made u look"-sounding song someone posted earlier in the thread.

salaam remi > mark ronson

Hey now, what are you saying about Sharon?

Sayin!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Am I the only one who thinks that song that samples "Ain't No Mountain" sounds way off? Like the vocals and the backing track are coming from two different planets. When I first heard that, I thought "WTF". Don't mess with a classic if you're going to fuck it up like that. A damn shame IMO.

Sorry, but

She wouldn't be as big of a deal though, a Black woman singing shit like "Rehab" would get its own kind of gawkage, but you wouldn't see the same kind of Pitchfork-ish focus on her.

Personally, I like her music and I like her voice. But yeah, I think race has a huge role here. Doesn't take away from her talent (assuming you think she has any) but she's not riding on that alone.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    But yeah, I think race has a huge role here.

Maybe at some point in the decision to promote her race
    could have been a factor, but I don't think your average
    radio listener is like "ooo! she sounds white! she's ok with me!"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Sorry, but

She wouldn't be as big of a deal though, a Black woman singing shit like "Rehab" would get its own kind of gawkage, but you wouldn't see the same kind of Pitchfork-ish focus on her.

Personally, I like her music and I like her voice. But yeah, I think race has a huge role here. Doesn't take away from her talent (assuming you think she has any) but she's not riding on that alone.

tied in w/ race, its also general pfork anglophilia (see dizzee rascal coverage)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    But yeah, I think race has a huge role here.

Maybe at some point in the decision to promote her race
    could have been a factor, but I don't think your average
    radio listener is like "ooo! she sounds white! she's ok with me!"
    people pay attention to image, though
    part of the reason rehab resonates is bcuz of her nutty tabloid behavior

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    As long as we're posting NAGL pics...

I haven't heard anything apart from the singles, but she's not that bad imo, at least she apparently inspired something which (I think) could be good:
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1557926/20070424/snoop_dogg.jhtml

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Sorry, but

tied in w/ race, its also general pfork anglophilia (see dizzee rascal coverage)

It seems to me that if even if race wasn't involved in this soulstrut would find a way to make it racial.

How dare a non-black woman get praised for making soul music.

I'm ashamed of ever enjoying anything she ever did

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    projecting much?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is several steps up from matisyahu, at any rate

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

people pay attention to image, though
    part of the reason rehab resonates is bcuz of her nutty tabloid behavior

her famous friends don't hurt either.

Image. Yes.

How popular would she be if she looked like this?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    projecting much?

I'm just saying that white people should be ashamed of themselves for trying to sell music.

First Vanilla Ice tried to get by and now we got this other white person trying to release a record just so she can sell a couple copies.

The worst part about it is she doesn't even hide that she's white. I've seen her in those video's being all anglo n' shit, even the record labels didn't cover her shame, they just let her parade all that white skin around...I tell you I'm sickened

• dayday 9,611 Posts

When Winehouse was basin' at Coachella, I was there.

naw dudes and dudettes, let's not get in twittled. I don't think anyone in this thread has said she shoudn't be singing, if so show me. And personally I never said she's garbage ; i've even gone on record maybe a few too many times giving Ronson props as a producer and a deejay (I think someone even made a fake account to clown).

I just a real fucking question. Jesus, I love how white folks get all uncomfortable when they get they get questioned on what there doing.

Straight-up, this is some more Elvis shit. Same with Lilly Allen

HERE WE GO

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    projecting much?

I'm just saying that white people should be ashamed of themselves for trying to sell music.
    exactly...you're the only one. thus "projecting"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    projecting much?

Image is everything. Talent or actual enjoyment must take a backseat to the real

I used to like this song
    http://www.divshare.com/download/716962-124
    then I found out the race of the singer, so the music now sucks

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    projecting much?

Image is everything. Talent or actual enjoyment must take a backseat to the real

I used to like this song
    http://www.divshare.com/download/716962-124
    then I found out the race of the singer, so the music now sucks

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Sorry, but
    Back to Black, for instance, is far more interesting than anything Sharon Jones did with the Dap Kings.

What?

- spidey

• Nevermind her singing or the fact that she's a white trashy alcoholic - What do you think of her songwriting? She's pretty damned talented IMHO.
    I'm really feeling the production on Back to Black and I'm glad to see the Daptone crew getting some shine. Get that money Gabe!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

How popular would she be if she looked like this?

uhhh...she basically does look like this nowadays.

meaning she's basically the 2007 janis equivalent looks-wise. back then it was hippy chic. nowadays its punk-urban-basehead chic. I don't see a huge difference. Janis did not have the benefit of photoshop and phony-lighting video production. if you tried hard enough you could find a decent-looking picture of either one of them I guess. but both were/are heinous.