allen toussaint-"go back home" lp?

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
i was just talking to jared at big city records and he mentioned that 2 people claim to have an (older) lp with this song on it. does anyone here know the title of this album? maybe it's a greatest hits type thing like the arron neville comp from the late 80's w/ "hercules"?peace,xavierp.s- this song is killing me, anyone w/ the 45 or the album with it please pm me for trades!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i was just talking to jared at big city records and he mentioned that 2 people claim to have an (older) lp with this song on it. does anyone here know the title of this album? maybe it's a greatest hits type thing like the arron neville comp from the late 80's w/ "hercules"?

peace,xavier

p.s- this song is killing me, anyone w/ the 45 or the album with it please pm me for trades!

The name of the album is "Allen Toussaint Sings" and it compiles various Toussaint 45s that never otherwise appeared on LP. Not sure what year it was released - I don't believe that info was actually on the LP and I'm not at home to verify. From what I can tell, it is NOT a newer comp though but I could be wrong.

It was released on "Bandy".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Bandy released shit in the 70s. It was a NOLA bootleg label from what I can tell.

I'm sure a righteous funk collecteur more familiar with NOLA than I can tell you more.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm sure a righteous funk collecteur more familiar with NOLA than I can tell you more.

Do you speak of anyone in particular? Perhaps someone with a Creole cultural background?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Do you speak of anyone in particular? Perhaps someone with a Creole cultural background?

Who, Ross? Yeah I didn't know if he was deep like that with the soul/funk knowledge.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bandy released shit in the 70s. It was a NOLA bootleg label from what I can tell.

I have not seen that Brandy. The one Called something like New Orleans Home Of The Blues dates to the 60s I think. The others I have had appear to be from the 70s. I think all of them feature Tousaint productions. One I had with some Irma Thomas sides was really great. There is also one of the Stokes who were Toussaint's band from his army days.

Snatch it back and hold it! My data base lists one with the title Allen Toussaint Sings/Billy Fayard/Stokes is this the one we want? I sold it in 1994 for $10.00.

There are also Bandy's for Art and Aaron, Ernie K Doe, Jessie Hill and a bunch of comps, and, no doubt, a bunch I've never seen.

I usually see them sell for between 10 - 20.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Snatch it back and hold it! My data base lists one with the title Allen Toussaint Sings/Billy Fayard/Stokes is this the one we want? I sold it in 1994 for $10.00.

That's the one I have. And I didn't pay more than $30 for it, if I recall.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    thanks for the info guys.

peace,xavier