When all-over-print isn't enough (hoodie related)

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Can BAPE be far behind? Are these DJs popular across the pond?
11:45 16Apr07 RTRS-DJ dreamt up stab-proof "hoodies" on the dancefloor LONDON, April 16 (Reuters Life!) - British teens beset by a violent knife culture that has gripped the front pages of newspapers across the country can now buy stab-proof hooded tops five-times stronger than steel. Hooded sweatshirts, popular with youths and dubbed "hoodies" in Britain, have come to be so synonymous with street crime that the nickname is used to describe low-level thugs and disaffected teenagers lurking on the streets and intimidating passersby. British security products company Bladerunner has developed a Kevlar hooded sweatshirt which protects the wearer from knife attacks and is on sale for 65 pounds ($129.5) on its Website www.bladerunner.tv. The stab-proof hoodie was the brainchild of Adrian Davis and Barry Samms who put them on sale on Friday and have nearly sold out of their first manufactured batch of 100. Davis -- who works as a DJ -- said violence on the club circut gave him the idea for the protective hoodies. "I was seeing fatal stabbings and slashings...and people getting bottled (hit with bottles) in nightclubs, and I realised that these things are happening to normal people," he said. The secret behind the Bladerunner hoodies is an inner layer of Kevlar, a knife-resistant synthetic fibre used in protective body armour for police and soldiers that does not melt, ignite, or conduct electricity. Kevlar manufacturer DuPont, says the material is five times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis. Plans are also underway for the technology to be applied to other items of clothing, and stab-proof uniforms may appear in the classroom in the not-too-distant future. "We've just sent out some designs to our manufacturers for school tops and we've approached a couple of schools who are interested to see what we can come up with, so that's something to look forward to," Davis said. ($1=.5020 Pound) Keywords: BRITAIN HOODIES/CLOTHES

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    A must for the spring season:

Bladerunner Kevlar Protected Hooded Top

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    As long as its lightweight and flavorful.......

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    on sale for 65 pounds ($129.5)

Will never catch on--too cheap.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "i heard he got a vest," "no,
    but i got a knife though"

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Haha, Britain is weird right now... stab proof school uniforms this week, CCTV camera that speak and shout at kids to go away if they're being bad the other week.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I thoguht that kevlar is only bullet proof? As in, you can cut it, but it's the elasticity that allows it to stop bullets.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "i heard he got a vest," "no,
    but i got a knife though"

BUCK THE WORLD

• not to steal anyone's thunder, but they were making kevlar puffy jackets back in the late 90s. and for the record, the bulletproof is not the preferred nomenclature - bulletresistant

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    violent knife culture

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

omg THIS IS ILL.

"History of the Hoodie"

"Hoodie Style Guide"

"View the Hoodie Gallery"

"JOBSWORTHS"!!!