UK heads.. What are your feelings about Iran?

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I won't comment either way.. But I am just curious of the reaction in the UK..

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I'm not suprised, a similar incident happened several years ago and with the Iran "situation" as it is it was only a matter of time before something happened now.
    My thoughts are with the men and women held prisoner and with their families.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I won't comment either way.. But I am just curious of the reaction in the UK..

I'm guessing something like this:

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    how come none of you one-worlders who howl over the human rights abuses taking place at Gitmo arent pounding the table over your beloved Geneva Conveniences in this context?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    how come none of you one-worlders who howl over the human rights abuses taking place at Gitmo arent pounding the table over your beloved Geneva Conveniences in this context?

It's been a week or so since this new Iran thing went down, not 4 years. Prisoner abuse in any context is
    wrong, by the US, Iran, UK etc. Our governments contempt for the internationl rule of law, opens the door
    for countries like Iran (who are prone to abuse anyway), to do the same. Well the enemy doesn't follow the
    rules, why should we?
    This is just typical right-wing, you lefty's are soft baiting BS, Sab and you know it!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I really couldn't comment on how the 'UK' has reacted to this. Personally I'm a little sceptical, this is a technique for stirring up hostility, that has been used before.

I really liked the daily show skit they did on the subject though.

It's been a week or so since this new Iran thing went down, not 4 years. Prisoner abuse in any context is
    wrong, by the US, Iran, UK etc. Our governments contempt for the internationl rule of law, opens the door
    for countries like Iran (who are prone to abuse anyway), to do the same. Well the enemy doesn't follow the
    rules, why should we?
    This is just typical right-wing, you lefty's are soft baiting BS, Sab and you know it!

Ooooo. I'm sorry, the correct Answer is "becuase we hate the current administration so much that we will side with our enemies if it can make America look bad.

But you were close with the whole its really all our fault thing.

"our" enemies?

exactly, you said it, not me.

rules, why should we?

Ooooo. I'm sorry, the correct Answer is "becuase we hate the current administration so much that we will side with our enemies if it can make America look bad.

But you were close with the whole its really all our fault thing.

Not even, I wouldn't side with Iran on this issue ever. What they are doing is deplorable, fake confessions,
    parading prisoners around for TV cameras etc. and that's just what they are showing the world. Behind
    closed doors who knows what's going on.
    But your over simplification of the issue is typical right wing, if you aren't 100% with us, you are 100% against us BS.
    When you claim to be liberators of the oppressed and champions of democracy it helps your
    cause to act like it when it really counts. How we treat people in our custody is important, regardless
    of their crimes etc.
    The whole this is not our fault, but we sure aren't helping the situation by not talking to Iran.
    Dialogue with these countries is the only way to sort these immense problems out.
    James Baker and the Iraq Study Group said the exact same thing and they are supposedly on
    your side. I don't get you or your boys.
    If you have some retort that isn't just reactionary one liners
    let me know.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

The whole this is not our fault, but we sure aren't helping the situation by not talking to Iran.
    Dialogue with these countries is the only way to sort these immense problems out.
    James Baker and the Iraq Study Group said the exact same thing and they are supposedly on
    let me know.

discussion is fine and all but you need two to tango, for example look at north korea, we can come to some agreement with them but they are still going to do what they want to do (build nukes) and the same goes with iran, they only act like they want to talk, in reality they want to buy more time. a lot of folks act as if all international players are honest and really want to work shit out, and i think that is straight up goofy, do you live your life like this? if so you must get fucked over a lot

let me know.

discussion is fine and all but you need two to tango, for example look at north korea, we can come to some agreement with them but they are still going to do what they want to do (build nukes) and the same goes with iran, they only act like they want to talk, in reality they want to buy more time. a lot of folks act as if all international players are honest and really want to work shit out, and i think that is straight up goofy, do you live your life like this? if so you must get fucked over a lot

You didn't get that at all, I never spoke to whether Iran would or would not honor their agreements.
    But I do know that we'll never know if we don't talk. And for the record, I don't get fucked over often.
    Don't assume that since I lean left, I'm soft. I handle my business.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    They (Iran) are seeing how far they can push this - testing the limits of the UK/US.
    As soon as it reaches a point of military action (possible), they'll hand over the sailors.

Right now they're showing the world that they're not afraid of the allied western powers.
    Speaking as an ex-pat Brit, that's my take on it anyway.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

let me know.

You didn't get that at all, I never spoke to whether Iran would or would not honor their agreements.
    But I do know that we'll never know if we don't talk. And for the record, I don't get fucked over often.
    Don't assume that since I lean left, I'm soft. I handle my business.

Game Theory Muthafuckers!

It's pretty amusing that you think parallels can be drawn between how you live personally, and how foreign policy and world politics works. I know its just mainly bravado, and you're not really that nieve, but damn!
    Iran and N. Korea aren't unruly teenagers that need to be brought into line, and US or UN aren't some benevolent, father figure, who's going to guide them with a firm hand. What the US and UK etc, are doing in the Middle East is not about good, or bad. Or our friends, and enemies. It's about control, and power. And it's as much about controlling the citizens of US and UK as it is 'stabilising the middle east'.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Would it be wrong to suggest that iran is pushing to go to war because the administration is trying to get a headstart on their whole apocalypse now radical islamic agenda? I just seems like if we attack them its exactly what they want and were playing right into their hand. It seems to me that peaceful diplomatic negotiations would steal more fire our of their rhetoric than agressive action.

They are most certainly trying to pick a fight right now. But it seems like whether we respond with sanctions or military action, we only further anti american resentment in the whole of the region. I think they should be allowed to have nuclear power, i dont think anyone should have nukes, but the fact is that all the world powers already do.

It really seems like nukes are the deciding factor between whats considered a "rougue state" and whats considered a "world power". Can you really blame them then for wanting em?

I think that the ongoing conflict is sort of helping the regime stay in power. If they can frame it as an "us vs. them" type scenario, then people will be less intent on examining the rights to power that those in charge currently possess.

It's pretty amusing that you think parallels can be drawn between how you live personally, and how foreign policy and world politics works. I know its just mainly bravado, and you're not really that nieve, but damn!

Dude took that there, I was just responding. I wouldn't have drawn that parallel,
    but I felt the need to address it.