stranger than fiction appreciation

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
anyone see this? i thought it was real good. great plot and will ferrell does a pretty good job. Its a little bit more of a serious role for him which i was digging.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    i didn't think it was that bad. i enjoyed it. I like Maggie Gyllenhaal.

• This movie rocked my world - best of 2007 so far

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I fucking hate Will Ferrell. Always have.

But I really liked this movie.

The Dustin Hoffman role was a goofy plot construct, but otherwise: good shit for a light movie. The best part about the movie is that there's no explanation given about the "why is Ferrell a living character?" premise. Too many movies try too hard to explain away their quirks using loose and dubious logic; chalking their weirdness up to planetary allignment or voodoo or some such nonsense like that. This was a good "what's the hell?" that needed no pinnings in reality. There was also precious little existential philosophising that would have ruined the light fare presented here.

Ah: Luigi Pirandello lives on in our time.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

The Dustin Hoffman role was a goofy plot construct, but otherwise: good shit for a light movie.

It's funny that this movie pops up on the heels of the Huckabees marathon. I liked Hoffman in that role both times. Stranger Than Fiction was ok, some of it didn't seem completely fleshed out, but i wasn't hating on it when i saw it.

My buddy was not feeling the pseudo-Chicago-isms, but he'd have to tell you all about that because i am way under qualified.

• I fucking hate Will Ferrell.

i saw this movie t'other night. i thought it was pretty fun. nothing amazing, but good. but - unlike luck - i fucking love will ferrel. always have. except for "night at the roxbury". and this seems like a spectactular waste of him. like vince vaughan was wasted in "dodgeball". ferrell does a good job ar real acting and all.. but there wasnt nearly enough shouting and running-around-with-his-top-off action for me.

someone else should have played harold crick so ferrel could have spent his time making "anchorman 2" or something.

• Not the biggest will ferrell guy, but i loved this movie. nice charlie kauffman lite flick.

i think what did it for me was the writing; and not the script per se, but the voice of karen eiffel the writer, and the fact that the book she was writing seemed to be the sort of thing that i would want to read. 'harold crick was saved by his wrist watch.'

This won't change your life, but it will entertain.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    This movie rocked my world - best of 2007 so far

this was a pleasant pleasant surprise. the queen latifah character was weak, but i realize they needed someone to interact with emma thompson. just a really cool idea, and subtle but perfect execution. will farell was perfect for this role.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Man, I did not enjoy this movie very much, at all. It was slow, repetitive, and annoying (everytime I saw Dustin Hoffman's character..."here we go again"). It was a date movie, and we both nodded off.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I like Maggie Gyllenhaal.

I'll admit I fell asleep in the theater, though.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    the queen latifah character was weak

When is a Latifah NOT weak? She ranks up there with Ice Cube in my book.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    the queen latifah character was weak

When is a Latifah NOT weak? She ranks up there with Ice Cube in my book.

Can't knock those Pizza Hut voiceovers though. Well...yes you can.

My buddy told me she has a jazz vocal CD??

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

All you Maggie fans need to check Sherry Baby.