*edit* ESPN Opinion Writer Self Hating? (NBA-R)

2»

Comments

• the REAL news story will be when the nba has a flamboyantly gay star...and by "flamboyant", i'm talking about Lemar from Revenge of the Nerds type flamboyant. while this might sound unbelievable, it will likely happen in our lifetimes. without sounding a call for the politically correct soulstrutters, here is my explanatory rationale:

- the nba is predominately black
    - there are more homosexual gay black men, on a percentage basis, than any other race or ethnicity
    - i play with one at my gym and he isn't half bad.

Dude. I don't even know where to begin, but I'll start with:

"He plays pretty well, you know, for a fruitcake!"

no dog, i didnt mean "he isnt half bad for a flamboyant gay guy". i'm saying that, in support of my argument, there are some fruity ballers out there already. just obviously not nba caliber.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    the REAL news story will be when the nba has a flamboyantly gay star...and by "flamboyant", i'm talking about Lemar from Revenge of the Nerds type flamboyant. while this might sound unbelievable, it will likely happen in our lifetimes. without sounding a call for the politically correct soulstrutters, here is my explanatory rationale:

- there are more homosexual gay black men, on a percentage basis, than any other race or ethnicity

What exactly are you attempting to explain?

the REAL news story will be when the nba has a flamboyantly gay star...and by "flamboyant", i'm talking about Lemar from Revenge of the Nerds type flamboyant. while this might sound unbelievable, it will likely happen in our lifetimes. without sounding a call for the politically correct soulstrutters, here is my explanatory rationale:

no dog, i didnt mean "he isnt half bad for a flamboyant gay guy". i'm saying that, in support of my argument, there are some fruity ballers out there already. just obviously not nba caliber.

What "argument"??

You've been talking out of your ass lately. Everything OK?

• What "argument"??

ha, yea, i'm great.

the subject is obviously silly, but my point is real. there are plenty of flamboyantly gay people, right? the nba is basically a meritocracy. you don't have to be elected. generally, the best basketball players rise to the top. accordingly, considering the number of flamboyant young black men, it is definitely a statistical possibility that we will see a "flaming" nba star.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What leads you to believe this?

And does a "homosexual gay black man" differ from a regular gay black man?

• What "argument"??

You seem a little defensive, D. Is it because, as a black man, you are statistically more likely to be gay according to KVH's most recent findings?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the REAL news story will be when the nba has a flamboyantly gay star...and by "flamboyant", i'm talking about Lemar from Revenge of the Nerds type flamboyant.

How insightful.

• the REAL news story will be when the nba has a flamboyantly gay star...and by "flamboyant", i'm talking about Lemar from Revenge of the Nerds type flamboyant.

Awesome. Leave it to Batmon.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

What "argument"??

ha, yea, i'm great.

the subject is obviously silly, but my point is real. there are plenty of flamboyantly gay people, right? the nba is basically a meritocracy. you don't have to be elected. generally, the best basketball players rise to the top. accordingly, considering the number of flamboyant young black men, it is definitely a statistical possibility that we will see a "flaming" nba star.

How does "Flamboyance" factor into this. Is their a Gay-O-Meter?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What "argument"??

You seem a little defensive, D. Is it because, as a black man, you are statistically more likely to be gay according to KVH's most recent findings?

Not just gay--"homosexual gay"

Plaese to not get it twisted.

• ok, let me drop this before i get "flamed" even further...but, in a few years, when Lamar James is tearing up the high school hoops scene, i'll make sure to resurrect this thread.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A persons sexual proclivities, like religion, should not be a public matter.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Apparently, ESPN who is hyping the story for their parent, Disney, who's publishing the book, is not getting as much attention out of this story as they'd like. When all else fails, talk to Mark Cuban...

Cuban says openly gay player would clean up[/b]

ESPN.com news services

Mark Cuban might be the Mavericks owner, but he thinks an openly gay NBA player would be a trail blazer, and a rich one at that.

"From a marketing perspective, if you're a player who happens to be gay and you want to be incredibly rich, then you should come out, because it would be the best thing that ever happened to you from a marketing and an endorsement perspective," Cuban told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for Monday's edition. "You would be an absolute hero to more Americans than you can ever possibly be as an athlete, and that'll put money in your pocket.

"On the flip side, if you're the idiot who condemns somebody because they're gay, then you're going to be ostracized, you're going to be picketed and you're going to ruin whatever marketing endorsements you have."

Cuban was reacting to the announcement by former NBA player John Amaechi that he is gay. The controversial Mavs owner praised Amaechi.

"When you do something that the whole world thinks is difficult and you stand up and just be who you are and take on that difficulty factor, you're an American hero no matter what," Cuban told the paper. "That's what the American spirit's all about, going against the grain and standing up for who you are, even if it's not a popular position."