what does peak wattage mean?

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
if i buy an ultrasonic cleaner with a peak wattage of 405 I'm I going to burn the house down?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    if i buy an ultrasonic cleaner with a peak wattage of 405 I'm I going to burn the house down?

yes and make a bunch of strutters happier too.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I don't believe so.

Watts is the measurement of power, and power is derived from multiplying Voltage by Current. In America, you typically have 120 volts wired to 15 or 20 amp lines. This means that your lines are capabale of handling somewhere around 2400 Watts (120*20).

Peak power means the maximum power it will use. Thus, if you're running the ultrasonic cleaner at something like full power at 405 watts, you shouldn't have any problem. If you're running too many things on a line or something is wrong, you'll trip the circuit breaker and have to go reset it. At my home, running the microwave with the toaster and having a couple lights on using the same branch always trips the circuit breaker.

I don't think you'll burn anything down.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,091 Posts
    I don't believe so.

Watts is the measurement of power, and power is derived from multiplying Voltage by Current. In America, you typically have 120 volts wired to 15 or 20 amp lines. This means that your lines are capabale of handling somewhere around 2400 Watts (120*20).

Peak power means the maximum power it will use. Thus, if you're running the ultrasonic cleaner at something like full power at 405 watts, you shouldn't have any problem. If you're running too many things on a line or something is wrong, you'll trip the circuit breaker and have to go reset it. At my home, running the microwave with the toaster and having a couple lights on using the same branch always trips the circuit breaker.

I don't think you'll burn anything down.

Beat me to it. Journeyman? Contractor?