LP Covers & Copyrights

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Is it illegal to create & sell a periodical/book that has pictures of LP/CD coverart without consent from the label/artist?Obviously, monthly magazines do this type of thing all the time, but maybe they get by with it because of the promotion they are providing and the extensive connections they seem to have within the industry.I've been planning a project but I don't want to end up like DJ Drama & co.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yeah, you need permission, usually from the label. Often there will be no charge for use of the image if it used in an editorial context but you do need sign off from the copyright holder. Get in touch with the label and go from there. It's kind of unusual for them to withhold unless they feel you're making money off the back of the image but using it to illustrate an editorial feature doesn't normally present a problem.

• A periodical has more leeway with copyrights than a book. If I was doing a magazine article on funny private album covers, I probably wouldn't seek permission, but if I was doing a book on them, I would track down as many as possible to avoid getting sued later.

• Thanks for the input guys....I'm planning on doing a complete discography of a certain foreign hip hop crew

I only plan to make like 200 copies of a bookish/magazine with about 80 entries and most likely under 250 copies

peace..