Whats the BFD with Portugese Pressings? (RR)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Seriously, how come these are always going for stupid big $?Are they pressed on gold-flaked chocolate or something?Seems like any/every random turd that is a Portugese Pressing can automatically add a couple $100 to its starting bid. Anybody shine some light on this phenomenon?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Any examples?

• I think this has less to do with country of manufacture than it does with Elton John and Olivia Newton-John completist collectors going berserk.

Same reason that a Genesis Japanese picture sleeve will bring 100x the value of a 45 otherwise available for $5 as a "normal" pressing.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Thats kind of what I was thinking, too.

Just seems like Ive seen alot of Portugese pressings popping up an going for big $ lately.

Maybe its just one peron in Portugal realizing he can make a load of $ off completists. Good for him.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    It's not just that - politically and economically Portugal was pretty fucked at least until the late 70s. A small domestic market and an absence of international labels meant that not so many records were pressed and when they were it was in small runs. After the revolution in '74 things began to change a little but before that there were slim pickings record-wise unless you were on a fado tip or bought imports.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I think this has less to do with country of manufacture than it does with Elton John and Olivia Newton-John completist collectors going berserk.

Same reason that a Genesis Japanese picture sleeve will bring 100x the value of a 45 otherwise available for $5 as a "normal" pressing.

Exactlly. As unique foriegn pressings become available completists will bid them up until the market is saturated.