HEY VU ACETATE JUST SOLD FOR $25K!!! HELLA YAPER

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    a lot less than it did the first time. i'm sure the seller is a bit dissapointed.

• made you look

• wow, he had TWO ACETATES???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    a lot less than it did the first time. i'm sure the seller is a bit dissapointed.

Maybe but the OG price was fake and possibly, most of the bids adding up to 100K were fake.

I don't know why this dude didn't go through a more established auction house. Let him reap what he sowed.

25K ain't nada though.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Maybe but the OG price was fake and possibly, most of the bids adding up to 100K were fake.

I don't know why this dude didn't go through a more established auction house. Let him reap what he sowed.

25K ain't nada though.

If I could get just half that for every 75 cent record I bought at a garage sale, I'd be doing ok.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

25K ain't nada though.

You speak the truth.

He fucked up again by putting it right back up on ebay after the fake bidder.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I don't know why, after all the discussions about how this would not be an appropriate item for upscale auction houses, people still keep saying "they should have gone to a real auction house." Believe me, they tried. No one was interested. And also for the record, Lou Reed was not interested. David Bowie was not interested. Universal was interested... in renting the acetate. Ebay was clearly the quickest and easiest way for the seller to unload it. It's just too bad they didn't have the foresight to use the preapproved bidder process the first time. Of course, I still think prank bids are childish and pathetic.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    BOSCOE.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    prank bids are childish and pathetic.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    And also for the record, Lou Reed was not interested. David Bowie was not interested

Can one extrapolate from this that at the time of recording (of this acetate), they, you know, were also not interested? Or is Bowie only interested in 2 Live Crew Recordings nowadays...well, at least he was 16 years ago..oh well...

And also for the record, Lou Reed was not interested. David Bowie was not interested

Can one extrapolate from this that at the time of recording (of this acetate), they, you know, were also not interested? Or is Bowie only interested in 2 Live Crew Recordings nowadays...well, at least he was 16 years ago..oh well...

Are you trying to make some sense?

Are you trying to make some sense?

yeah, of this auction and why those two heavyweights of modern day pop culture refused to be interested in acquiring an artefact of modern day pop culture which should interest them. Probably because the music sucks...dunno, I'm tired and should stop posting here for now...

Well, I could be mistaken about Bowie, but I am sure I was told that Lou Reed's people gave the message that he wasn't interested. My point was only that the grandiosity and potential of this artifact may have gotten blown a little out of proportion. I think the price it most recently went for probably reflects fairly closely the actual value of the item.

Well, I could be mistaken about Bowie, but I am sure I was told that Lou Reed's people gave the message that he wasn't interested. My point was only that the grandiosity and potential of this artifact may have gotten blown a little out of proportion. I think the price it most recently went for probably reflects fairly closely the actual value of the item.

there is still a difference between a scratched acetate and a painting of that era. Whatever, even if I had the money, I wouldn't be interested too. I'd rather buy, erm, 6 copies of Boscoe, 8 Ball of eyes, and some more heat and leave it at that. But to each his own...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I** is exactly right about the VU camp not being interested (especially since Maureen has a copy). Universal wanted $10,000 period. The owners (wisely) concluded they could do better on the open market. THere is absolutely no market for an upscale Christie's type auction on this item. It sold for a huge amount of money (in the range that they initially expected) after they screwed up the first auction. For all we know Bowie bid on the item. Goodnight Gracie.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, one thing to bear in mind is that, despite the
    absurdly inflated amount of the bogus initial auction,
    $25,000 is still a phenomenal amount of money for a collectible
    record - the record often cited as The World's Rarest Album,
    the alternate version of Dylan's "The Freewheeling Bob Dylan," only
    traded hands for around $20,000 itself - placing this item at
    or above the $$$ status of the Gold Standard of record collecting.

Personally, I think $25,000 is WAY too much for this, based on
    what it is, it's condition, and it's supposed rarity - I would
    have appraised it at less than half that amount myself.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I can't believe you guys are still talking about this.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, it's been a whole 4 hours since the auction ended -
    you'd think we would have moved on by now...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, it's been a whole 4 hours since the auction ended -
    you'd think we would have moved on by now...

I was totally over this shit about halfway through the FIRST auction.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm still starring at the finished auction page waiting for something ELSE to happen.

"Something.... ELSE"

• prank bids are childish and pathetic.

where's the "one trick pony" graemlin?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    prank bids are childish and pathetic.

where's the "one trick pony" graemlin?