Buying a T.V. Strut. What's good?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I know we have some smart muh'pluckers here who know about all types of things (I'm looking in your direction Aser $). Anyways I'm planning on buying the folks a brand new T.V. set for the Christmas but I'm not sure what to look for and what brands to avoid.All I know is that it should be around 24'' inches with those DVD things built in. holler.

Comments

• Circuitcity.com is a good place to read consumer reviews. Just avoid no-name brands.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I know we have some smart muh'pluckers here who know about all types of things (I'm looking in your direction Aser $). Anyways I'm planning on buying the folks a brand new T.V. set for the Christmas but I'm not sure what to look for and what brands to avoid.

All I know is that it should be around 24'' inches with those DVD things built in.

holler.

I 'd recommend not getting one of those DVD-TV combo's. They usually aren't all that great in terms of DVD quality reading.

defintly look into getting an HD DO NOT GO THROUGH CRAIGSLIST TO BUY ONE!

Sony is great company

Magnavox not so much

Same with Samsung

good luck

• A 24 inch with a Built in DvD player?, ......really?.....yer gonna buy one?

Ok.....Pros..Compact,all in one unit, cheap in price.

Cons..If one breaks your screwed, how good can an all in one unit really be?....Chances are you wont find one in an HD model unless you buy an LCD, 24 is a small tv these days.

Id be willing to bet money that most of the DVD/TV combos out there are the same guts as the rest, so quality isnt much of a factor.

If you play Burned or copied dvds or VCDs chances are this type of player combo wont play them.

Buy the cheapest NAME BRAND model you can find, take an open box if they have one.

Look at it this way....a DVD player is 40 bucks these days, a decent size tv with a flat tube or an LCD in the size you want will run you 250 or so. an all in one unit may cost you as little as 175 bucks.....but remeber...you get what you pay for in most cases.

2 more cents for the till.

Peace for now, Peace for Later.

This would be my choice, and will be after christmas...Hehehehehe.

http://www.ezhotdeal.com/store/product.aspx?prodid=8494

• Word. I'm not really too corcerned with the "Dvd Combo" but more on the longevity of the T.V.

So where's a good place to come up on a deal for a T.V.? I'm guessing i'll probally spend around in the 300$ range, but woudn't getting it for cheaper (no clipse-o)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's in the eye of the beholder, only your eyes can tell you which picture looks best. A lot of stores have all the settings on display models all jacked up, purposely making the cheaper ones look shittier in hopes of you spending a little more. Go and check to make sure the settings are at their default levels.

Also, expandibility will be a good consideration. Make sure it has enough inputs to handle a dvd, a vhs player and other things. Maybe think about a dvi or hdmi connection if you want to hook up your laptop to the tv.