Yamaha DX-7 (synth headz know the deal)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Ok, so I have an opportunity to pick up one of these on the cheap but I'm just wondering if anyone owns or has used one and whether they have any recommendations or not. I'm really interested in FM synthesis even though that shit hurts my head to think about. Anyone?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its cool. Basicly the standard for alot of 80's synth sounding stuff. Think van halen JUMP.

Some of the patches are pretty cheesy, but that could be a good thing. I think i like the juno better for that kind of stuff. But they are both cool.

how much?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ok, so I have an opportunity to pick up one of these on the cheap but I'm just wondering if anyone owns or has used one and whether they have any recommendations or not. I'm really interested in FM synthesis even though that shit hurts my head to think about. Anyone?

I think that's the OG for FM synthesis (which I don't know shit about). If it's cheap I'd grab one. Despite it being an "80's" keyboard, there's some useful sounds in there for sure.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    195, supposed to be in good condition and all that shit. i just wanted to learn more about fm synthesis and i figured this would be a good and cheap way to start. i don't even think i have room for this though

• Brian Eno owned on this thing, although the interface is notorious for being shitty. I love hardware, but you'd be better off getting Native Instruments FM7 which is an amazing software version with a gui and saving the cash for a juno/jupiter or an fm synth with a friendlier interface. They were super popular, and Yamaha made lots of different versions, so you won't have too hard a time getting one or similar if you decide later you want one.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Its cool. Basicly the standard for alot of 80's synth sounding stuff. Think van halen JUMP.

Jump was done on an Oberheim, but the DX-7 is the quintessential 80's synth. I'm dying to get one myself.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Brian Eno owned on this thing, although the interface is notorious for being shitty. I love hardware, but you'd be better off getting Native Instruments FM7 which is an amazing software version with a gui and saving the cash for a juno/jupiter or an fm synth with a friendlier interface. They were super popular, and Yamaha made lots of different versions, so you won't have too hard a time getting one or similar if you decide later you want one.

If you're gonna buy a hardware synth, there are better options. That classic 80s sound is so easy to recreate in other synths that you're not really gaining much by buying OG. The FM7 is really good, as is Absynth.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Brian Eno owned on this thing, although the interface is notorious for being shitty. I love hardware, but you'd be better off getting Native Instruments FM7 which is an amazing software version with a gui and saving the cash for a juno/jupiter or an fm synth with a friendlier interface. They were super popular, and Yamaha made lots of different versions, so you won't have too hard a time getting one or similar if you decide later you want one.

If you're gonna buy a hardware synth, there are better options. That classic 80s sound is so easy to recreate in other synths that you're not really gaining much by buying OG. The FM7 is really good, as is Absynth.

yeah, i mean, fm, synthesis isnt all that special. BUT, i would absolutely reccomend getting the O.G. over some native instruments software junk. But i also love hardware.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

yeah, i mean, fm, synthesis isnt all that special. BUT, i would absolutely reccomend getting the O.G. over some native instruments software junk. But i also love hardware.
    i hear that. but on the cheap you can just download the emulation of that shit to play around with some fm synthesis. I mean i try to buy synths and samplers when i got loot to throw at it, but if im broke and want to just play around with a technique or learn some sound design/synthesis, i would just roll with that. It will proabally be hard to find online anymore but i might be able to hook it up if your interested. i just gotta look thru some shit to find it in the studio.

• Ok, so I have an opportunity to pick up one of these on the cheap but I'm just wondering if anyone owns or has used one and whether they have any recommendations or not. I'm really interested in FM synthesis even though that shit hurts my head to think about. Anyone?

that's a good price for the Dx-7, but what in particular are you looking for in a synth? i've owned one (and sold it). it's great, but it will take awhile to get used to. i would also suggest considering the later model, the MKII model, which can store more patches. is there a reason you want a hardware as opposed to software synth?

if you're looking for an all-in-one secret weapon synth i think with a little more research you will find there's better stuff out there. as has been said, a lot of the FM-7 patches are cheesy, but that might be a production challenge to make them sound cool, or on the other hand, a reason to look into other synths from companies like:

Oberheim, Sequential Circuits, Roland etc.

It's a good deal, no question, but if you're just getting into FM synthesis, you should research it, and maybe try a demo of the Native Instruments plugin (which sounds good by the way) and see if it's for you.

good luck

• native instrument have just released the fm8 which might be worth looking into, it looks like they've put in some new features ect...I wasn't really feeling the the old version myself but then again I don't really like fm synths.

• native instrument have just released the fm8 which might be worth looking into, it looks like they've put in some new features ect...I wasn't really feeling the the old version myself but then again I don't really like fm synths.

just copped fm-8. it sounds good, but the best part is basically the arpeggiation. it's a deep program, and there's certainly room to freak with it, but i've only had it about a week and have not jumped in all the way yet.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I scored a dx27 a few years back from this seedy looking dude who was into dance music. Fucked with it for a bit, found that programming it was a major thesis type shit and I didn't have the time to really get down with it. It was pretty big and quite heavy also so I was thinking about selling it for a while when one night - maybe a year, year and a half after I bought it, I hear this banging on my garage door. It's old mate who sold me the thing looking even pastier and all strung out. Turns out the keyboard belonged to a friend of his brothers who flipped out when he found out he sold it on him and threatened to call the police and whatnot. Dude was highly anxious so I sold it back to him for only 50 bucks more than I paid him for it. Harsh but a reminder to us all to avoid using amphetamines.

Anyway, I think they're overrated. unless you got spare cash and having keyboards and electric gear piling up everywhere is your thing.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Fucked with it for a bit, found that programming it was a major thesis type shit

not really.

my knowledge of synths is limited but i'd say the time i spent with a dx-7 was satisfying, i'd probably cop one for two bills if someone gave me the oppertunity and i had two bills.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had 2, one got stolen a couple years ago (why on earth), I still have one sitting in a roadcase in storage upstairs at work, never touch it, not really practical for any of the music stuff I do.

• pretty much every sound (except drums) on Madonna's "Borderline" comes from that synth