Jamaican LP inners...

bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Looking at a stack from a collectro who's got both older issues and recent re's... am I right in assuming that plastic inner sleeves were not used until relatively recently there?

Comments

• no that's not correct. You really have to go by the label variations and jacket printing...

I've found original coxsone shit with plastic inners and it's the result of sleeves and LPs being separated, reunited, exchanged, repackaged, recycled, etc etc etc.

JA record business =

Let me know what you find!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Looking at a stack from a collectro who's got both older issues and recent re's... am I right in assuming that plastic inner sleeves were not used until relatively recently there?

it's not a gospel, but i would say it's a decent rule of thumb, b/c dudes will stuff 30 year old sleeves with new pressings and the plastic sleeve is a decent tip off... yes, every once in a while, you get the switch up, but as a basic yardstick, the beat up cover with the plastic sleeve is a repress red flag....

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Lots of UK stuff from the late 70's early 80's have plastic inner sleeves ie. Greensleeves
    Lps. At least that's been my experience.
    JA=Jenky
    Super old glued back sleeves with brand new vinyl WTF!?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Super old glued back sleeves with brand new vinyl WTF!?

alot of times that means the sleeves have been sitting around for 20 year and they stuffed a fresh pressing in....

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I have quite a few early 70s pressings with the half-round plastic inner. Federal, Crystal, Studio One

• Yeah - the ONLY way to tell a repress is the label. Even sometimes they slap an old label on a new record! But that is rare. DO NOT use the plastic inner or heavy card rule of thumb... label label label label. Learn your label variations if you are gonna look at a lot of reggae!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Once again Paycheck is on point!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Well the ones I'm talkin bout are exact repros, at least thats what I think after close inspection... so label diffs (or plastic sleeves) aren't really the issue here - the appearance/weight of the vinyl and the look of the label are what tipped me off. It was a Freedom Sounds comp I was really curious about and I see it is reish'ed. Still a great listen...

• JA plastic sleeves are some of the very worst sleeves around. Super loose and of a similar consistency to a newspaper bag.

• Well the ones I'm talkin bout are exact repros, at least thats what I think after close inspection... so label diffs (or plastic sleeves) aren't really the issue here - the appearance/weight of the vinyl and the look of the label are what tipped me off. It was a Freedom Sounds comp I was really curious about and I see it is reish'ed. Still a great listen...

Yeah a cheap label job will tip you off every time.

They repopped all that Freedom Sounds stuff a year or so ago.