Grown Ass Man Rapp???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Can we agree on some albums that fit this "catagory"? A friend of mine doesnt think there is enuff material out there to speak on such a subset. Add On.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• One of the Grown Folks Rap blueprints right here.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    How does one define this new genre? Looks like it could be called "waaaaay past my prime" rap...

How does one define this new genre? Looks like it could be called "waaaaay past my prime" rap...

Yes, like Gary Payton on the Miami Heat, still contributing.
    Many of the lyrics talk about how the kids out here dont know the real.
    Wife and kids get mentioned.
    Reminiscing about their earlier careers.

Hip Hop used to discard old cats but - I SAY THEE NAY!!!!

Cats can/are still contributing and just because the radio doesnt give 'em love, doesnt deem the artwork unworthy of praise.

• HOLY SHIT, that is some fucking ugly cover art. He hiring 12 year olds to design his shit or what?

• How does one define this new genre? Looks like it could be called "waaaaay past my prime" rap...

Some of these old geezers can still get down... maybe not to a person who thinks that Jeezy and Weezy and all other rappers with "Lil" "Young" or "Yung" in front of their names is what it is right now, but to many of us old ass listeners these dudes are not waaaaay past their prime at all as far as talent goes. De La, Masta Ace, Kool G Rap, Scarface and quite a few others are still more than capable of making good music. Popular music, maybe not, but good, hell yeah. That De La "Grind Date" album to me is their best album as far as rhymes go (and my personal favorite overall... I'm sure folls won't agree with that but that's how I feel about it). Lyrically Jay-Z can still do it too, he hasn't fallen off skillwise IMO... he's just gotta stop pickin' these gump ass beats.

Until somebody can prove otherwise, the best rappers in the world right now are all over 30. Popularity not withstanding, I don't see any truly great ones in their twenties or younger. Maybe with time that will change (and I do see a couple with potential greatness, no doubt), but as of right now? 30 and up only, youngins. (uh oh... did i just piss off the kids? )

That De La "Grind Date" album to me is their best album as far as rhymes go

Not the point.

• That De La "Grind Date" album to me is their best album as far as rhymes go

I disagree, but to each his own. I'm sure most of Soulstrut agrees with you there... Buhloone Mindstate was easily my least favorite non-A.O.I. De La album, but still had a lot of great moments. I personally just like De La better when they stopped rhyming for the sake of riddlin' and started talking in layman's terms, so that it was a little easier to know what they were talking about. It wasn't so easy pre-Stakes Is High to see what a monster Pos was lyrically.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I was thinking of a similar thread a week ago when i heard this new track

Juggaknots with Sadat X - 30 Something

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    "Grown Ass Man" by Prince Po off his 1st solo LP- The Slickness is my jam, it definitely qualifies.

I recall reading an interview w Slick Rick before this recent round of immigration troubles and he was explicitly saying there's an unexploited market for Grown Folks rap he wanted to demonstrate that it's there by flipping it successfully. I believe Ricky D could pull it off too, he's got such confidence and charisma I've never ever looked at dude as a has-been or bitter.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I was shocked by the fact that Grind Date didn't suck. It had all the makings of a stinker (doods past their prime, who hadn't made a good lp in nearly 10 years), but it was pretty good. I think the essence of Grown man rap is falling off and then slightly coming back & not stinking. I think that Ed OG & Pete Rock thing could have been grown man rap. Didn't suck.

• HOLY SHIT, that is some fucking ugly cover art. He hiring 12 year olds to design his shit or what?

What do you mean???
    Don't you recognize 'post-9/11-rhomboid-German-auto-minimalism' when you see it?
    Sheesh, it's like they don't teach nothin in the grammar skool anymore...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I disagree, but to each his own. I'm sure most of Soulstrut agrees with you there... Buhloone Mindstate was easily my least favorite non-A.O.I. De La album, but still had a lot of great moments. I personally just like De La better when they stopped rhyming for the sake of riddlin' and started talking in layman's terms, so that it was a little easier to know what they were talking about. It wasn't so easy pre-Stakes Is High to see what a monster Pos was lyrically.

Personally, I think Buhloone Mindstate = criminally slept on.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Really? Amongst the circles I move in anyway, I find that tends to be considered their best record.

• subsub 311 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

[quote[Really? Amongst the circles I move in anyway, I find that tends to be considered their best record.
    I could be wrong, but I think the original poster was talking about how thin the sales were for it.

If and when A Tribe Called Quest drops that "reunion" album wont that be considered Grown Ass Man Rap?

sayin

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I think that Ed OG & Pete Rock thing could have been grown man rap. Didn't suck.
    yes and yes.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    seriously. way more cred in maintaining relevance to the art-form after 40--not to mention staying alive vs one-off "groundbreaking" debuts.

well, thank God for "older" womens.

• Possibly his best work to date.
    Definitely one of my favourite albums in the last few years.
    And most definitely the vibe Ace creates (lyrically) is in a grown mans state of mind.

bingo

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes yes yes to Scarface! Where's that Mac n Brad record anyway?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    where's that z-ro and willie d album?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Buhloone Mindstate is definitely slept on. Most cats I know put this up there as one of their best. I think they were going through some shit with Prince Paul and you can hear the tension. It's fun but not as straight up zany and the first two albums. This one holds up for me even all these years later. But I'm a huge De La Soul fan, so I'm not surprised. Love the samples on this too. Ego Trippin. Patti Duke. Eye Patch. Classics. And some live Maceo Parker to boot. Great shit.