Doing time

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Now I know people in the US have some fucked up things to deal with while in jail. This is more of a wtf from things here in Canada.1. They want to make it so each inmate has internet access from Jail. Does this not seem like a bad idea to anyone?2. A teacher from the US was just convicted of sexual abuse. His sentence? Has to stay in Canada with his wife and not be allowed back to the US for 3 years (He's American). Excuse me WTF???3. I was just reading somewhere (Not 100% sure if it's true or not). That Karla Homolka (Who was part of some of the most fucked up rape and murder crimes in our country and is now free after only 12 years) got a degree in psychology while in jail. So, if ur kids wanna goto university, but you don't have the money...Seriously...WTF???

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

3. I was just reading somewhere (Not 100% sure if it's true or not). That Karla Homolka (Who was part of some of the most fucked up rape and murder crimes in our country) got a degree in psychology while in jail. So, if ur kids wanna goto university, but you don't have the money...

Seriously...

WTF???

Karla Homolka is one E-V-I-L BITCH!!!!!!!!! I hope she never gets out of jail.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

3. I was just reading somewhere (Not 100% sure if it's true or not). That Karla Homolka (Who was part of some of the most fucked up rape and murder crimes in our country) got a degree in psychology while in jail. So, if ur kids wanna goto university, but you don't have the money...

Seriously...

WTF???

Dude, she's been out for a bit now...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Seriously...

WTF???

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????? How the hell did she get out???????
    I know she flipped and testified against her husband during the trial but she was just as guilty in the deaths of those girls. She let her husband rape her 15 year old sister. PURE EVIL. What kind of a deal did she get? That is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

• yet more proof that Canada is soft.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Just read about her--one cold-blooded lady who deserves a lot more prison time.

yet more proof that Canada is soft.

If I put Canada & Soft in google, I get these pics.

But I agree with you!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Seriously...

WTF???

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????? How the hell did she get out???????
    I know she flipped and testified against her husband during the trial but she was just as guilty in the deaths of those girls. She let her husband rape her 15 year old sister. PURE EVIL. What kind of a deal did she get? That is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

She was/is living in Montreal. She was on the south shore, NDG, & might be in the east end now. The media has stopped following her around.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Well if the point of prison is rehabilitation into society, then those all sound very reasonable, save for the person who was simply denied entry to the US, because that is shedding our problems onto another country.

10 years is a long time. Think about how much shit has happened in the last ten years in your own life, and then imagine being in prison for that whole time, not being able to make anything of your life. People who commit crimes have souls, and many people have gone to prison and come out and done amazing things with their lives. Others relapse and return to their old ways, in most part because life is extraordinarily difficult after being convicted of a felony (getting a job, meeting people, starting out flat broke, etc.)

OK, I hear what ur getting at.

But it just doesn't make sense. You rape and murder and get a university degree paid for while in jail? When there are thousands of kids that don't get to goto school cause they don't have the funds. Or are in debt for over 10 years paying that shit back. Let alone the the people that live every day messed up because the fellon took away their relative/friend. We're not talking about someone who stole or some shit. We're talking about a rapist/murderer.

And Internet in jails? I'm sure there are pro's and many many cons to having it. The abuse that could be done with it, could potentially be something crazy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

But it just doesn't make sense. You rape and murder and get a university degree paid for while in jail? When there are thousands of kids that don't get to goto school cause they don't have the funds. Or are in debt for over 10 years paying that shit back.

I would be more up in arms if I really felt like people were abusing it, let alone using that system within prison effectively. As it stands now, I am more upset that many of the people in the penal system enter it at age 18 barely literate. If scores of those same people were leaving with educations I would see it as some sort of victory for the system, truthfully. But I think the actual number of people leaving the system with degrees earned while in lockdown can't be too high every year.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

But it just doesn't make sense. You rape and murder and get a university degree paid for while in jail? When there are thousands of kids that don't get to goto school cause they don't have the funds. Or are in debt for over 10 years paying that shit back.

I would be more up in arms if I really felt like people were abusing it, let alone using that system within prison effectively. As it stands now, I am more upset that many of the people in the penal system enter it at age 18 barely literate. If scores of those same people were leaving with educations I would see it as some sort of victory for the system, truthfully. But I think the actual number of people leaving the system with degrees earned while in lockdown can't be too high every year.

cosign.

Prison should be about punishment but at the same time it should be about rehabilitation. To take a convict and lock him/her in a building just to let them out down the road with no education is criminal (pun intended)

what better attempt is there at improving society other than improving those that seem to have got the short end of the stick?

There should be more education for inmates, more rehabilitation for the crimes that put them behind bars and less belief that these guys should continue to suffer and become even more hardened when they are relased back into the world.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i learned all of this from random facts while watching oz but prisoners were 70% less likely to go back to prison after getting a GED while in prison and 90something% less to go back after getting a college degree. this form of rehabilitation has been shown to have longterm results but does nothing for current crimes so people aren't for it as much as stricter enforcement, longer sentences, blah blah. it's all one vicious circle really. i agree completely that it's fucked up to have no funding for schools and prisoners receive more benefits. the sad thing is, these kids who do not receive a proper education that prepares them for life outside of school will often need to resort to some means of illegal activity to just survive and guess where they end up after that?