what are you doing about the quality of your sound

2»

Comments

• some of ya mentioned ortofon.
    seriously, which one?
    i had the scratch, concorde pro, concode dj e, nightclub and the broadcast.
    but everytime i buy a new needle, the soundquality is shitty like it??s an old needle.

i have no hi-fi fetish, but soundwise is ortofon pure garbage.

• for the best sound I use a high fidelity hand me down optimus mixer with the ground wire electrical taped into the bottom of the pitch slider of the turntable

• about a year ago i switched form 44-7s to the white label.

the sound quality is a little nicer and more flat, good enough for me to digitize records with. the tracking is a little worse, you need to play with the settings a little more and re-balance the tone arms every time you move your tables or every new pair of tables you put them on. with the 44-7 once they we're broken in you could put them at almost any setting and they would just work.

• This outfit's good for quality audio/video cables to spec at decent prices...

http://www.bluejeanscable.com

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Personally I've got an Echo Audio Indigo I/O PCIMIA audio card for my Powerbook. I run my 1200s through my Rane TTM-54, and use a Shure M97xE cart when recording. It's not an ideal setup, but it's the best I can afford for now. The Shure is a great cart because it is very balanced and deals well with sibliance, which is exasterbated in the digital realm. I'm going to order two of these: http://www.hydrawire.com/technics.htm and recable my Techs as the wiring is shit on one of them.

Ideally I'd have some sweet Apogee A/D converters, run them at 24-bit/88.2khz, then cleanup the sound using clickrepair, and then downsample to 16-bit/44.1khz. I'll use 1200s till I die, and I'm fine with the M97xE cart, but I'd buy a nicer phono preamp to get the most out of that setup, along with some good cables (hydrawire makes nice ones).

THE MOST important thing however is how you're cleaning your records. I use Gruv Glide, but for records that are real dusty or had some water/mold issues, it doesnt always do the job 100 percent (45s are particularly hard to clean). I've heard of ways to make a DIY vacuum cleaning kit, which I really want to try.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    hollering at Mesh

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Most of the collectroz I know, or I have chatted with don't care about the sound!
    They sometimes even record their records in MONO

• i've thought of putting my files in mono before. most of the systems i play on are mono and if i use mono files i can cut my file size in half and/or use higher quality bit rate/depth.

has anyone taken the mono plunge?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    they probably use quartz which has a very precise frequency of oscillation which depends on the thickness of the cut. this would enable sampling at the exact frequency required. fyi - your wristwatch does the same thing to count seconds.

Exactly, and so do Techs (you know, where it says Quartz direct drive turntable near the pop-up light). When the pitch slider is centered (light is on) it's running in quartz mode which is extraordinarily accurate. When the pitch is adjusted, the turntable is operating on a different system to regulate its speed, which though very good, isn't quite as precise as the quartz system.

And yes, in short Apogee's are the shiznit when it comes to D/A and A/D converters.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

has anyone taken the mono plunge?