Duke Pearson: The Phantom - more like this please

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
This has been on steady rotation.What other albums in a similar vein would people recommend?

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I had a thread about this not too long ago called 'latin jazz recommendations'. I will try to dig it up for you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I had a thread about this not too long ago called 'latin jazz recommendations'. I will try to dig it up for you.

I don't really hear this LP fitting into the traditional Latin jazz model though. I hear where you're coming from but I meant other stuff on Blue Note (or similar labels) that have a similar kind of feeling (as opposed to, say, a Cal Tjader or Latin Jazz Quartet vibe). Currently listening to "Idle Moments" by Grant Green. This works...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Both Blue Note lps you mention feature Bobby Hutcherson. You really can't loose with anything he's on. But some of the stuff starts to head "out." For example, What do you think about Dolphy's "Out to Lunch" or Prince Lasha's "The Firebirds"?

I'm sure you'll like this one though.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Maybe some of the Hutcherson from the same year as The Phantom. Total Eclipse, Patterns or Medina. These are all good, the latter two weren't originally released at the time though. No latin percussion on them though from memory.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    George Braith - Musart

Similar mood (to me at least). Good LP.

• George Braith - Musart

Similar mood (to me at least). Good LP.

Yup - this comes pretty close to Pearson's "The Phantom" as far as spiritual swampiness goes; recommended!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Pete La Roca "Turkish Women At The Bath"

Also early Walt Dickerson LP's (like "Lawrence Of Arabia"), Andrew Hill's "One For One" 2LP which has unreleased modal stuff by him...maybe even some of the less "out" Eric Dolphy records, like "Last Date" and "Unrealizet Tapes".