Wilson Pickett remixes--do any exist?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I'm trying to help someone with an admittedly odd request. Anyone know if there are remixes (a la the "Motown Remixed" series) of Wilson Pickett? Thanks.

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Didn't Atlantic recently open up thier vault for a remix project just like Motown's?
    They should put some Pickett accas out there.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    About the only one I can think of is "International Playboy."

This was originally a track from his Wilson Pickett In Philadelphia album from 1970, as well as the flip side to one of his hits ("Engine #9").

After Wilson left Atlantic, they gave it a special remix for the discos (EARLY discos, that is - they weren't yet widespread in 1973), updated with slicker drumming and a female chorus intoning "Superfly!." I think this was a hit - I don't have the Billboard R&B chart book on hand, but I remember hearing this.

To my knowledge, this was only on a 7" single (12" singles weren't really common yet, and Wilson had already bolted for RCA by that time, so I don't think Atlantic could have stuck this on an album - did Rhino release this on their 2-CD Pickett anthology?).

For easy reference: the remixed "Int'l Playboy" has "Come Right Here" on the B-side.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I think i have a motown 12" with several wack remixes of 'in th midnight hour' by Mr Picket. Its a mid 80s thing and god-aweful.

I should probably throw it out.

• I got a Baltimorish remix of "Midnight Hour" which is kinda zzzzz...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I got a Baltimorish remix of "Midnight Hour" which is kinda zzzzz...

HEY! There's no way it's worse than this 80s shit i got man. Bring on the Baltimore heat is what I say!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I got a Baltimorish remix of "Midnight Hour" which is kinda zzzzz...

HEY! There's no way it's worse than this 80s shit i got man. Bring on the Baltimore heat is what I say!

word.

why is a lot of those 80s remixes seem to suck out all that was good in the song and replace it with bad drum machine arrangments?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    why is a lot of those dance music[/b] remixes in general[/b] seem to suck out all that was good in the song and replace it with bad drum machine arrangments?

STICK WITH THE ORIGINALS, FOLKS[/b]

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    why is a lot of those dance music[/b] remixes in general[/b] seem to suck out all that was good in the song and replace it with bad drum machine arrangments?

Ha ha, all that needs to be said. Here endeth the lesson.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    About the only one I can think of is "International Playboy."

This was originally a track from his Wilson Pickett In Philadelphia album from 1970, as well as the flip side to one of his hits ("Engine #9").

After Wilson left Atlantic, they gave it a special remix for the discos (EARLY discos, that is - they weren't yet widespread in 1973), updated with slicker drumming and a female chorus intoning "Superfly!." I think this was a hit - I don't have the Billboard R&B chart book on hand, but I remember hearing this.

To my knowledge, this was only on a 7" single (12" singles weren't really common yet, and Wilson had already bolted for RCA by that time, so I don't think Atlantic could have stuck this on an album - did Rhino release this on their 2-CD Pickett anthology?).

For easy reference: the remixed "Int'l Playboy" has "Come Right Here" on the B-side.

The disco version of "Playboy" is on the Atlantic UK CD reish of the Philadelphia album.

SG

• why is a lot of those dance music[/b] remixes in general[/b] seem to suck out all that was good in the song and replace it with bad drum machine arrangments?

The motown remixes are nice. The Z-Trip rmx is
    If the atlantic project is nearly as good I will buy it.