I want a bicycle

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
and hear a lot about fixed gear bikes. Seem to be what all the hipsters ride. It's for getting around SF and excercise. Any bicycle gurus here?

Comments

• Fixed gears and no brakes seem to be the thing.
    Look at the handle bars on my friend bike their tiny.

[/img]

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    If by fixed gear, you mean single speed...yeah, all the rage now. Good keeping the bike light. Might take some use to, but I've heard of guys who for years used 10 speed, switched to single and fly past everyone going uphill.

I'm also looking for a bike. Not a great time with winter, but can reap savings on discounted bikes. Prob will get something along the lines of cyclo-cross...generally speaking. I honestly haven't made my mind up.

Lots of bikes to choose from...you gotta figure what exactly you want to do with it and where you wanna go with it in the future (upgrading). I'd hit the shops and test ride a bunch of diff ones. Dudes in shops can be really helpful, but keep in mind they wanna do business too.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This thread covers a ton of questions about
    bikes and fixed gear/single speed setups in particular:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=642400

• If anyone is really tall, I am selling my early 80s Rossin Frame which I recently had blasted and painted. It is a 57mm (good for a tall dood, 6"2) it is a nice handmade italian frame, colombus steel w. campi drops. great fix gear as it has road drops. I am gonna let it go for $250 shipped. You can find a picture of the frame on www.sixtoo.net