Kubrick on Eyes Wide Shut

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I love Kubrick, but this movie was awful.

Add me to this list as well. I am a big Kubrick fan, and have been amazed by his work again and again. Eyes Wide Shut was simply pathetic. Compared to his other works, it had practically no artistic value.

This was an unfinished piece of work. But Kubrick heads might find some artistic merit. Similar to Tupac outakes pasted to new production.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Sorry (and call me blasphemous), but if you want dull Kubrick, look no further than 2001.

Dem's fightin' words!

Actually, the first time I saw 2001 I thought it was ponderously dull (the fact that it flew way over my head probably didn't help). And yet I had this nagging feeling that I ought to watch it again, so eventually I did, and from the second viewing on, it became my favorite movie.

I actually watched 2010 for the first time a couple weeks ago. It's not a bad movie...competent, really, but hardly great. Yet compared to the movie it's a sequel to, it's ham-fisted, hackneyed, and damn near

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    I wonder what Kubrick didnt like about it?? He'd been wanting to make the book, traumnovelle, into a movie for years. I think its a masterpiece, except for the scene at the pool table, where they explain the whole thing.

Yeah, I don't understand why that was included. I had a similar disdain for the film Wonder Boys which was an amazing film as well aside from it's let's-explain-everything ending.