Philly help....

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
So i'm gonna bein Philly this weekend and, though Ive been thru before, this will be the first time I get to actually spend a few solid days in the city. So firstly, are ther any no-brainer digging spots I should hit? I'm not looking for anyones "super secret spot" or anything, just the must-visit sopts for diggers in Philly. Looking for mostly jazz/soul/gospel stuff. And secondly, is there anything going on nightlife wise in Philly this weekend? Anybody got a gig this weekend? Thanks in advance. MrMatthew.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'm new to the city, so i'm not up on everything yet, but i think cosmo baker is playing at the walnut room on sunday.

there's a flea market on broad and lombard (i think) saturday. i know one dude is going to be there that had some pretty nice stuff a couple weeks ago.

• yeah, rain permitting, the flea market will be this saturday. look for fred, lonzo, and stinky steve. from there, walk down south street or go to armands

dont we go over this every other week??

maru, what neighborhood you end up moving into?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    yeah, rain permitting, the flea market will be this saturday. look for fred, lonzo, and stinky steve. from there, walk down south street or go to armands

dont we go over this every other week??

maru, what neighborhood you end up moving into?

i would go to the flea but i'm going to the jersey shore with my girl.

we ended up in northern liberties. nice spot, kind of crummy in spots, but looks like everything is on the upswing.

• Beautiful World Syndicate, in South Philly at 1619 Passyunk, just bought an enormous (10,000 piece plus) jazz collection, and the records started going out today. Hit it!

• Beautiful World Syndicate, in South Philly at 1619 Passyunk, just bought an enormous (10,000 piece plus) jazz collection, and the records started going out today. Hit it!

I was there this past weekend and bought some great stuff.

I'll try to stop by again tomorrow when I am in the area.

If you see me, Mark, holler. I'll buy you a coffee.

I was there this past weekend and bought some great stuff.

I'll try to stop by again tomorrow when I am in the area.

If you see me, Mark, holler. I'll buy you a coffee.

Glad you found stuff at BWS! Jon's a good friend, and we've been working together on some buys lately -there's some great stuff in this jazz collection. But it really just started to trickle into the shop today (the wall records are different and we put out a couple boxes) and won't be showing up in full force until next week. Still, you should definitely check it tomorrow.

Don't buy me coffee, buy me a beer!

• Sounds good. I will be down there for a pretty nice collection myself - so a beer will definitely be in order!

I should be there in the late afternoon-early evening, after I've wrapped up out in the 'burbs.

• i'm actually gonna be in the city of man-on-man love this weekend myself. I'll be the one in the Leo Sayer bin. hide your raers! anyone got an extra Mendes?

• As far as night life hit Ortliebs in Northern Liberties. Great Jazz bar and their food is . Also whats the bar around the corner, maybe a philly head will know the name, they only have PA brews on tap. Fuck its been a couple of years since I live there so I can't remember. Seriously if you like jazz and good food go to Ortliebs. I miss philly on the weekends.

• As far as night life hit Ortliebs in Northern Liberties. Great Jazz bar and their food is . Also whats the bar around the corner, maybe a philly head will know the name, they only have PA brews on tap. Fuck its been a couple of years since I live there so I can't remember. Seriously if you like jazz and good food go to Ortliebs. I miss philly on the weekends.

Standard Tap?

Standard Tap?

Yes,thats it, they also have good food and beer. Well at least they did three years ago.