JESUS CAMP

2»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    no, they obviously do it for the respect & admiration...

That Lil' Markie schtick has been swindling the gullible and disturbing the doubtful for years now.
    It took a moment or two to recognize that voice from a sample on Bongwater's 'Double Bummer' LP.
    "Ohhh, doctor, my chest hurts so bad...!"
    "Billy, are you ready to see Jesus?"

oh shit, I totally remember that sample.

---

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Double Bummer is such a mindfuck. Loved it way back when and re-discovered it last year, when I found a sealed copy at Wuxtry's in Athens, GA [Holla!].
    Where Ann Magnuson went is well-known. But whatever happened to Kramer? Is he still producing/recording?

Double Bummer is such a mindfuck. Loved it way back when and re-discovered it last year, when I found a sealed copy at Wuxtry's in Athens, GA [Holla!].
    Where Ann Magnuson went is well-known. But whatever happened to Kramer? Is he still producing/recording?

I totally loved that shit in high school, but I wonder what I'd think of it now?

nearly all the best songs were covers if I remember right: 'we did it again', 'there you go', 'the porpoise song'

they moved from quirky to novelty pretty quickly afterwards though.

---

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    I totally loved that shit in high school, but I wonder what I'd think of it now?

The noisefests go on a bit too long at times, but otherwise it holds up, IMO.

nearly all the best songs were covers if I remember right: 'we did it again', 'there you go', 'the porpoise song'

Bongwater were consistently spot-on with their covers. "You Don't Love Me Yet," "The Drum," and "Bedazzled" were especially great.

they moved from quirky to novelty pretty quickly afterwards though.

I never found them either quirky or a novelty. That usually implies one-trick pony. And they did four solid albums.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Let's not forget that he may very well be in it for the pre-teen boys[/b].

reynaldo is wrong though, the smarter kids do see through it, but they pretty much go insane & get into heavy drugs & stuff.

I grew up in a religious small town & a saw it happen to more than a few friends.

they take acid & get a vision of the second coming & run down the middle of street stopping cars to warn people about gods wrath.

---

I pray this was somehow documented on vinyl?

I pray this was somehow documented on vinyl?

I have some 4 track tapes of trio free improvisations, but nothing was ever waxed.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It'll have to do.

the sound could be more cohesive, as our drummer got put on house arrest with the electronic ankle bracelet just as we started getting good & it was hard for him to come over & practice without violating his probation.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Random thought: Do any of you think these guys are in it for the $$$?
    False profits (prophets) if you ask me.

If I'm being kind, I'll say they've managed to conflate their love of Jesus with their love of steady income. But typically, I'll just say it's a ploy for the cash.

Man, fundies really creep me out, though. I even went to a Christian summer camp (A href=http://www.brookwoods.org/brookwoods.htm>this one) when I was young, but it was nothing at all like the shit in that movie preview. Actually, I didn't even know it was a Christian camp until I first got there, but once I was there, I figured it out pretty quickly. All the activities and whatnot were fun, and if and when they started in with the Bible-thumping, I'd peep out any of the cool stories (you know, heavy on the smiting and the concubines--sex and violence, baby!), and if it was boring, I had a good enough imagination that I could just space out and get lost in my own head. If the camp had turned out to be anything like this Jesus Camp shit, i would've been digging an escape tunnel from the jump.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Someone needs to post a lil marky mp3!

he gets psycho around 1:00.

Is it me or does Lil. Markie dude look like that early clip of Larry The Cable Guy????

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Let's not forget that he may very well be in it for the pre-teen boys[/b].

reynaldo is wrong though, the smarter kids do see through it, but they pretty much go insane & get into heavy drugs & stuff.

I grew up in a religious small town & a saw it happen to more than a few friends.

they take acid & get a vision of the second coming & run down the middle of street stopping cars to warn people about gods wrath.

---
    By "truly smart" I was only referring to the rare, one-in-a-million-type people who, through force of will and cold intellect, escape their insane, destructive environments and remain mentally balanced, happy, and successful.

I'm okay with the idea of there being only several thousand of those type of people on the entire planet, with any religious small town never producing more than two per 21 years.

By "truly smart" I was only referring to the rare, one-in-a-million-type people who, through force of will and cold intellect, escape their insane, destructive environments and remain mentally balanced, happy, and successful.

I'm okay with the idea of there being only several thousand of those type of people on the entire planet, with any religious small town never producing more than two per 21 years.

I knew you were on some ubermensch-type schitt 'naldo.

sadly, the most successful people from these sorts of backgrounds are the ones who just accept Jesus unquestioningly & let life sweep them along into becoming a real estate agent, pharmaceutical salesman or newscaster.

---

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

sadly, the most successful people from these sorts of backgrounds are the ones who just accept Jesus unquestioningly & let life sweep them along into becoming a real estate agent, pharmaceutical salesman or newscaster.

---
    Hey, that actually doesn't sound so bad!

---
    Hey, that actually doesn't sound so bad!

it's a happy life of moral certainty, conspicuous consumption & fear of the darker peoples.

---

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

it's a happy life of moral certainty & fear of the Lizard[/b] peoples.

---

Sounds familar.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

This shit is off-the-hook ridiculous. The whole time, I kept thinking, "Hurry up and get to the abortion, you cloying sack of crap!"