Bob Dylan: Technology Sucks

2»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    And when you diss Dylan, you diss yourself.

Wouldn't he actually take being called a grumpy old fart as a compliment?

Seriously, I recognize Bob Dylan as the great artist he is, but I must admit his opinions on the qualities of current music are not that interesting when he's coming with blanket statements like ""I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years" or "music today ain't worth nothing anyway". Typical stagnant old-man talk, not pearls of wisdom IMO.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    ^^^^^^
    I'm not so sure that it's better. It's certainly easier, and it's opened the doors for a lot of people, but I don't think that the digital era has improved music.

Sampling? Hip-hop? Without the digital era we would still be listening to the grateful dead. However, you point about compression is the real issue here. Compression just sucks when it's abused, you lose tonality, and space. Many contemporary releases don't take advantage of any active panning techniques.

As far as Bob Dylan goes: sucker.

Leonard Cohen is , his lyrics are actually good writing.

I'm with you on Cohen, I'd much rather get drunk and morose listening to Cohen. But by digital era I really meant digital delivery, as in mp3. I guess there should be a distinction between the times during the digital era... Also, the live experience that Dylan came up on has severely suffered thanks to the digitization of music, and that has to be taken into account. How many new acts/groups will have the longevity that Dylan's had?