Steeplechase Heat?

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
is there any?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    NHOP. Phillip Catherine. Ken McIntyre. Walt Dickerson. Tete Montilu.

I also like the two Braxton LPs.

Most are pretty straight ahead jazz. The sound quality is always great. Features many greats from the 50s and 60s and their "later" years.

They used to be all over cut-out and dollar bins and are now getting harder to find. Like everything. Except hip hop 12s

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I have their "Lady Bright" lp. It's okay if you like psych.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Monette Sudler...

• Johnny Dyani

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    These are a few that I find enjoyable, partly or as a whole:

Michael Carvin "The Camel"
    Jackie McLean/Michael Carvin "Antiquity"
    Rene McLean "Watch Out"
    Nat Adderley "Don't Look Back"
    Monette Sudler "Time For A Change"
    Sheila Jordan/Arild Andersen "Sheila"
    John Tchicai "The Real Tchicai"
    NH??P "Jaywalkin'"
    NH??P/Kenneth Knudsen "Pictures"

Anyway, Steeplechase was a local Danish label, but I understand that Inner City licensed their recordings in the US. Did IC release the entire original Steeplechase catalogue as US pressings, or just selected parts of it?

I just saw their first release (Jackie McLean live @ Montmartre) the other day. Twas expensive.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Monette Sudler "Time For A Change"

Yes. A nice one. Still in print too.

http://www.steeplechase.dk/steeplechase/LPcatalog.pdf

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Jackie McLean and Gary Bartz- Ode To Super

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Rene McLean "Watch Out"

A classic album.

• I have a Chet Baker/Lee Konitz that I'm pretty sure is on Steeplechase. Surprisingly "out" considering the participants. I think it was recorded in a loft or something in NYC in the 70's.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jackie McLean and Gary Bartz- Ode To Super

is steeplechase the original issue? I got one on Inner City but I know they reissue/ domestically issue sometimes.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anyway, Steeplechase was a local Danish label, but I understand that Inner City licensed their recordings in the US. Did IC release the entire original Steeplechase catalogue as US pressings, or just selected parts of it?

I seriously doubt they could have come close to releasing the entire Steeplechase catalog, not only because there are so damn many but because SC outlived IC by a long shot. Plus actual SC pressings aren't hard to find in the US.

IC seems to have licensed a whole lot of foreign jazz releases, and even the occasional tiny-label US pressing