Joni Mitchell

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Not really caught up with her latest stuff as "Hejira" is still rotated frequently. So took the opportunity of getting some of the later sets like "Wild Things Run Fast" and "Ladies of the Canyon"...I was struck by how much her voice has changed - I mean, it's a lot more travelled-sounding now. It could be easily be someone completely different at times. Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Does it work for you or no? i haven't really heard the later stuff.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Wait, Ladies of the Canyon is from 70, Heijera is 76. Did you transpose the titles or am i missing what you are saying?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
    My bad with the pasting.

What I was trying to say is the voice on Ladies of The Canyon, Hejira, Hissing of Summer Lawns etc is not the voice she sings with now. It's gotten a lot croakier, which I personally like, and I suppose she must be knocking on 60?

"Night Ride Home" is a set on which you can start to hear the changes in her voice, but the stuff on Travelogue (2002) is a lot less "Whiny" and more, er, Sarah Vaughny?

• smoking 2 packs of cigs a day will do that to you. i am a huge fan but cant get down post 1976.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    smoking 2 packs of cigs a day will do that to you. i am a huge fan but cant get down post 1976.

completely with this statement...except that I think she smokes about 3 packs (i cannot fathom this amount...but apparently true). Hejira is gold cakes!!!