Popsike Membership

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
went today and was forced to register... last question: "are you a record dealer?"lol...

Comments

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    at what point did you have to register, cause i have been using it today and was never asked

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    a few minutes ago, I went to the page and could not execute a search without registering first.

Perhaps it's because I do hundreds of searches a week on there...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    next step is $$$!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yep...

There is no need to register unless you are a frequent user of popsike.com. Frequent users will be asked to register after a certain number of queries is reached.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    yep...

There is no need to register unless you are a frequent user of popsike.com. Frequent users will be asked to register after a certain number of queries is reached.

So what is eBay getting out of this?
    You're telling me a community service archiving third-party data is going to eventually charge for it? eBay will be all over their asses in a hot minute.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I was forced to do it a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit annoying that you gotta login.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was forced to do it a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit annoying that you gotta login.

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    it is only a matter of time before they charge, i don't see how ebay could stop them. they do shitloads of work, pay for hosting, they definitely earned their stripes.

the membership thing is pretty arsenio hall though.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    if they do start charging, they better also save the times when records DONT sell high, but they're listed on Popsike as selling high. Gotta give these crazy record store owners some kind of grip on reality.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    if they do start charging, they better also save the times when records DONT sell high, but they're listed on Popsike as selling high. Gotta give these crazy record store owners some kind of grip on reality.

And fix that search engine...

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    it is only a matter of time before they charge, i don't see how ebay could stop them. they do shitloads of work, pay for hosting, they definitely earned their stripes.

Not arguing that at all--they've definitely built up some rep. But I would think that eBay would shout "proprietary!" if popsike started charging for use of their site when they are farming content from them, even if eBay generates none of the content themselves.

That said, I'll still wind up paying for membership (if it is not too outrageous).