Too many records?

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
I'm still in the midst of moving my records. I spent from noon to 12 midnight boxing them up and got about a third of them done. I came to the conclusion today I have too many records! Is there such a thing? Honestly, because if that is the case then why am I still looking for more? I looked at my want list yesterday and it is just dumb. I'm never gonna find the ones I want and if I do they will cost an arm and leg. I could sell them all and be chillin' like a villan! When is the breaking point? When do you say ok, I have too many? Soulman says "never stop diggin" and that is my motto, that is why I'm at this point now.

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    3000 was my breaking point...I've sold about half of it in the past year. I highly recommend it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I agree with Asprin. I think there's a point at which digging can make us all too attached and obsessed with records as material objects - in short, it's more about 'having' than enjoying. I have somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 and I think thats kinda my limit. I am maintaining an equilibirum where I buy and sell stuff regularly. I think it's really liberating to realise that they're just records and it's ok to let them go.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    3000 was my breaking point...

Man, I must be a fuckin lightweight, I mean, I'm only at half of this, and it still seems like an effort to keep it maintained!

I've had a lot of trouble parting with stuff recently. How do you psych yourself out on it?

• hyderNZhyderNZ 57 Posts
    I think you have to ask yourself why you collect records to see if your collection is too big...

if you collect records to play out on the radio or in bars/clubs it's ok because youre getting paid for it.

if you collect records to show off to a select group of friends (who don't really care) or soulstrut, you have serious problems with self esteem

if you collect records because you can sell them for profit, it's ok, but you could be doing more productive and interesting things instead

Sell the records you have no personal attachment to and get on with your life

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    One thing I think is important is to sometimes take a break from the mad record diggin and spending a week or so going back over what you already have. A week of playing some of the stuff you forgot you had. Appreciating what you have.

Sometimes people can hear a rare one and think DAMN I NEED THAT HEAT only to discover they've had it for a year.... Thats when the collecting outweighs the sense.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    I was up to something round 1900 LPs last year, and I made the decision to cut the fat out. That turned out to be bout 4-600. I'm very happy at round 13-1500 LPs that I have in such an order that I can find and listen to things without ever getting lost in clutter. I'm actually gonna get rid of some more soon that I'm just not feeling and can't use. The limit I've decided on is 2500 LPs, never do I want to go over that amount. LPs are in order alphabetically. I've got tons of 45s but those don't take up much room and are easy to flip on and off the decks if I want to hear one. My hip hop 12s are in 5 crates, and I'm not gonna get any more than 6. I'm keeping excel spreadsheets updated so locating what I need is cake.

• Options
    I've gone through my stuff about once a month now for the last 2-3 years and pulled/listened to the suspect titles. If they don't pass, they're off to the nearest record fair/store/trade. It really helps - I'm down to about 3-4000 of my favourite friends.

Also, it's different in my case as I have always access to my stock - ??,???.

K.

• SoulificSoulific 103 Posts
    I had to face that problem recently. Over the past years i was moving alot and as a result of that i had records at my parents place, at my girlfriends place and of course here at my place. Now I moved to Hamburg with my girlfriend and for the first time in let`s say seven years i got all my records at one location. I think I just have broken the barrier of 3000 records now and gosh, that`s a lot. What really bothers me is that the collection occupies so much space. I mean it`s lot of meters of Bonde or Expedit. I bought four Bondes and they are stacked completely. So where to put the books and things?
    I really want to downsize a little. After bringing all these vinyls in the new appartment i was totally wrecked and i don`t want to do it again. But how to downsize. I mean there is Hiphop, there is Soul, there is Funk, Disko, Latin, Jazz, all those other records with breaks on em and of course there is a lot of good pop, independent, nu jazz, house, techno. In other words there is to much good music around.
    I got different seasons concerning my listening habbits. Sometimes it`s more this genre sometimes more that and i do need the variatie in styles and I want to have a certain amount of records to choose from.
    Although i want to downsize I just could not stop anyhow.

Sebastian

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    In other words there is too much good music around.
    The Bizarre

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    One of the nice things about having a boyfriend with OCD is that he keeps his collection at or around 1,200 records (I think it was maybe 1,500 at a high point). He's really disciplined about getting rid of records he doesn't listen to very often when he acquires new ones.

• don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
    I think you have to ask yourself why you collect records to see if your collection is too big...

if you collect records to play out on the radio or in bars/clubs it's ok because youre getting paid for it.

if you collect records to show off to a select group of friends (who don't really care) or soulstrut, you have serious problems with self esteem

if you collect records because you can sell them for profit, it's ok, but you could be doing more productive and interesting things instead

very well put....it seems the very act of consumption is what drives us,not the music itself. you forgot one though; if you buy records to sample from, then the thrill of the hunt is justification in itself,no.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    *Paging peacefulrotation*

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

if you collect records to play for your friends, loved ones, and for yourself, then you are a normal person.[/b]

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

if you collect records to stick your dick where 45 adapters should go you might not be a normal person.[/b]

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    There is a point though when i look at some of my records and know i am unlikely to play them yet it is hard to let go of them. I am getting to the point soon where i will sell some on ebay starting with ones i never listen to (OZ psych rock,beatles semi rares and the like) I think for me I could only sell records that i am not really that into or have doubles of because in Australia it isn't easy to pick up much good funk/soul/jazz.
    I have maybe 2000lps and 500 12"s and yet I am always looking for more music and want to hear something new to my ears, it seems neverending the journey of musical discovery.
    Each record has a kind of emotional attachment to the past and it is kind of hard to let go of that. The music I have danced/fucked/got stoned to/tripped to is somehing that holds energy for me.Even the Doors /led Zeppelin/Pink floyd etc records i got into when I was 13-15 are hard to let go of because of that attachment.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

if you collect records to play for your friends, loved ones, and for yourself, then you are a normal person.[/b]

word.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

What's normal. As long as no one get hurt who cares.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Sell shit while it's hot, then buy it back when it's not...

peace.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I been selling off lots of stuff lately. Early on, I used to buy records no matter what condition they were in if I wanted to hear em. Those days are over. I went through everything and if its not VG or better, its out. Except for the ones I know I won't see again of course. I reccomend this to all, makes for a much neater place. Still lots of records here to get rid of. Lots of private bone.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Check out how much they sold for recently... Nike Air Flight 1989

Those are fuggin ugly. Fugly

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I sometimes get caught in a thought loop... first I think "Maybe I could go through my stuff and weed out the really good stuff so my collection will be smaller but thick with goodness." Then I think "...but I make tracks and something good could be on anything so I dont really want to get rid of anything because I could toss something that I could use later..." Finally I think "...I could use a little space though and it would be nice to have a nice and neat studio space in my house..." Then I'm back to "Maybe I could go through my stuff and weed out the really good stuff so my collection will be smaller but thick with goodness." etc...

Then when I break out of it, I think... "I wish my wife would hurry up home before the thrift shop closes, I want to go digging..."
    The Bizarre

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    I think it??s ALL about the fear to loose/miss anything.

Simply!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Amassing all of these records was one of the WORST things I ever could've done! There's no way I can sell them all and get top dollar for them- I don't have enough hours left in my life to list even half of them on Ebay. Or even a set sale list. And since I am a cheap ass muthafucka, I am reluctant to throw or give anything away for fear that one day it will be worth money (I have given the Salvation Army records that I thought were trash that turned out in later years to be worth serious LOOT). I am still putting my foot squarely up my own ass for throwing away boxes of those OG Phill Most Chill "On Tempo Jack" 12"s- how was I to know that one day people would discover it and want to pay me $500-$600 for a copy?
    So now here I am with this ridiculous amount of vinyls that are taking up way too much space in the crib. It was a good investment from the money side of things, no doubt, but still... it is also a problem, because it'll probably be impossible to ever get what the collection is truly worth, for reasons which I discussed at the beginning of this rant. I feel for ya, Danny Dee Rock... I only have a fraction of what you have and it's still WAAAAAAY too many records.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I am still putting my foot squarely up my own ass for throwing away boxes of those OG Phill Most Chill "On Tempo Jack" 12"s- how was I to know that one day people would discover it and want to pay me $500-$600 for a copy?

Just curious, but why would you do that anyway? its your own shit!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am still putting my foot squarely up my own ass for throwing away boxes of those OG Phill Most Chill "On Tempo Jack" 12"s- how was I to know that one day people would discover it and want to pay me $500-$600 for a copy?

Dog I have boxes of soul purpose 12"s that I can't give away. I'm trying to hold them but space is at a premium out here! Archaic just sent me a copy of another 12" of mine he found, because me and the other dude on it have one copy a piece! There were only 300 made or something. They're all gone.

Btw, the Phill Most 12" probably wouldn't be worth as much if people knew that he was sitting on multiple boxes... so it goes both ways.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

When I got married I had to move all my records pretty much by myself from my bachelor pad to our new apt. Only around 5-7,000 records at the time, but still a huge pain in the ass. By the time we bought our house the collection was probably somewhere around 15-20,000. Dog, I had big weightliftin' brothers damn near passing out in the summer heat helping me transport all of those crates! They couldn't handle the whole weight, so I had to haul the reminder all alone, just loading the car up and making multiple trips. After a while I started throwing shit into the dumpster... just physically couldn't take it anymore.
    Those boxes of Phill Most Chill records had been sitting in my closet for almost ten years- as far as I knew, nobody knew about the record or gave a damn about it. This is before rap records were seen as "collectible", for the most part- we speculated that the day would come that stuff would sell for big $$$, but at that time nobody really knew that it would explode like it did. $500-$600 for that record??? I would've drove yo' ass straight to rehab if you tried to tell me that that record would be worth that much one day. I was using those shits as frisbees, throwing them around and shit. I still have a copy that's got some kind of strange melt mark on it- I don't know if I was burning that shit with a blow torch or what!
    And I know some people probably think "ahh, Phill's got hundreds of copies in his crib, he's just making up the story about throwing them away so that the record will seem rarer than it really is and he can get more money for them"... I wish that were true, but unfortunately it's not. Every now and then I do find another copy mixed in somewhere it's not suppossed to be in my collection, though.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

I can definitely relate to not caring about your own records. After you make a song or album you're pretty much sick of it, so why even have it around wasting space. Sounds stupid but its the truth. I'm probably missing half of the stuff I've done over the years. Getting paid is a lot higher on the priority list than having hella copies of a random record. That being said I don't think I've thrown any copies of my own records away.

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    I sometimes get caught in a thought loop... first I think "Maybe I could go through my stuff and weed out the really good stuff so my collection will be smaller but thick with goodness." Then I think "...but I make tracks and something good could be on anything so I dont really want to get rid of anything because I could toss something that I could use later..." Finally I think "...I could use a little space though and it would be nice to have a nice and neat studio space in my house..." Then I'm back to "Maybe I could go through my stuff and weed out the really good stuff so my collection will be smaller but thick with goodness." etc...

Then when I break out of it, I think... "I wish my wife would hurry up home before the thrift shop closes, I want to go digging..."

this is the case for me so many times...

• idemidem 98 Posts
    see i think 20000 is cut off point ... trade ya spares off to get others you don't have etc .. 3000 is definately too little .. you can fit that on one shelf ... a full room is definately the way to go ,, but i guess i spend 7 hours a day listening to records ,, maybe you guys don't ??? plus i don't make beats anymore which can be very timeconsuming .. so 3000 for a beatmaker is definately a good size collection ... but if your a dj/collector/record store owner ... 20000 is a good size...now i better go before i keep talking shit ..... who wants to trade records ?? john ..