FRIENDLIEST / RUDEST CITIES IN NORTH AMERICA

13»

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i will say this...

montreal is the only city that every single time i've been there, someone has offered to smoke me out... like, talking in bar w/ someone, "oh, wanna smoke or joint" or outside smoking a cigarette and someone just passes you a joint... that said, not speaking french in certain parts of town to certain people will get the gasface with a quickness...

el paso is my least favorite city in america... i had to deal w/ some red tape type bullshit there and everyone was polite on the service, but at the same time being a HUGE dick to me... fuck that... (plus, it is the most boring largish city i've ever seen...)

as opposed to Boston, where i had to deal with the same type of red tape shit a few weeks later and everyone was gruff on the surface but treated me cool and actually did me favors...

anyways, being from Boston i will say that people there:

1) aren't superficially friendly
    2) have a distrust of people not from there
    3) take a while to warm up to anyone they don't know
    4) tend not to talk to people they don't know (it always amazes me when i travel by myself and go to bars and end up having long conversations or hanging out with people i don't know, as this has happened in boston like 3 times in my life...)
    5) like to be left alone
    6) are clannish (not being irish or italian, this is one thing about boston i don't miss)
    7) like sarcastic bust-your-balls type humor

that said, i like being from there and with the exception of a few pricks, i don't think people there are RUDE, as much as they are sort of in their own shell. but, at least when someone smiles at you, you know it's genuine and

a) not something everyone does to everyone else, for the sake of politeness and appearences (like i sometimes get the feeling down south)
    b) or b/c they want something from you (as i sometimes get the feeling in SoCal)

but, yeah, if you are from somewhere where people say "hi" on the street, you will def. not like boston...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    shut up, hippie. and get a damn haircut.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

who the hell are you and why are you breathing the same air as me?

El Paso[/b]

some of my real good dudes are from this city, as is my Ex so from my overall experience i would say EPT folks are pretty good.

and what's all this about Batavia?

well, you know this is based on personal experience more than a definitive ruling.

El Paso scared the shit out of me. Out of all the places we went on that road trip, it felt the most tense/volatile/dangerous. And we were there during the day! It was a little strange to come from a place like NO to a city where no one was smiling.

when my family was taking those trips to BMore and DC, Batavia was the place we would stop at after crossing the border to eat, etc. We did not look ike anyone else there and everywhere we went, folks made sure to remind us of it.
    ps. this is over 20 yrs ago, but it made a life-long impression.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Punk Asses
    1. DC

R Street Storage (NE) has great prices on moving boxes.

Really though.

I think any talk about how whole fucking cities are rude is more a reflection on the individial making that claim vs the place.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Really though.

I think any talk about how whole fucking cities are rude is more a reflection on the individial making that claim vs the place.

what do my fave friendly cities all have in common

charlston sc
    columbia sc
    richmond va
    the district
    charm believe city

Really though.

what do my fave friendly cities all have in common

charlston sc
    columbia sc
    richmond va
    the district
    charm believe city

those are all places that i've lived.

wierd

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    [...] DC's friendly now but I've been here a LONG time.

word. For all of its "everyone is from someplace else"-ness, DC takes its own sweet time to warm up to you.