CORINNE BAILEY RAE APPRECIATION

2»

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    It's catchy. That's why it sells. And that's why it's not underground. And that's why it's not hip. And that's why trainspotters must hattt on it like some hateful harlequins.

i think the hatt comes from the fact that it's cookie cutter, cliche, and predictable. The 'adlibs' to cover up empty space are obvious and for something that's Grown why is she singing a high school ugly girl anthem?

That being said i don't mind 'bland' in the sense that some things are sparse. Norah Jones isn't a terrible artist because she sings quiet songs. Have you ever heard the remake song she did with Dirty Dozen Brass Band? The Little Willies aren't terrible, she gets out of her normal thing a bit.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
    She's been invited to play the Major Label Game and the rules are that your music must be easily marketed as effective mechansims to pimp this stuff already exist. It's like the supermarket - convenience shopping.

"Run out of Norah Jones CDs? Try this instead..."

I think the big problem is anger at the way the general public lap up the supermarket product without supporting the [insert some kind of superior adjective here] product on offer. But hey, people lead busy lives - not everyone has the time to run all their major/minute life decisions by The Strut (who are of course a cross-section of well-rounded individuals) before acting...

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    This isn't "grown folks music" it's bland middle class music, that you'll see in people with no tastes collections all across the country right next to Norah Jones and Dave Matthews Band...

File with Simply Red, Lighthouse Family...etc

"Coffee Table Soul"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Lighthouse Family

I like me some I get lifted. But only the Linslee mixxxxx.

Oh, would the couple of brits posting in here chime in...

Anyone remember a Lynden David Hall track that I don't think was ever rls'd.

Had "Sunshine" in the title and in the chorus. And a pretty mean bassline.

I remember getting this when I worked at Uptown. And the label only did a white test press and couldn't release it for some reason.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    This isn't "grown folks music" it's bland middle class music, that you'll see in people with no tastes collections all across the country right next to Norah Jones and Dave Matthews Band...

File with Simply Red, Lighthouse Family...etc

"Coffee Table Soul"

I OWN A COFFEE TABLE

STOP TRYING TO BE TOO COOL FOR THE REALNESS WHICH IS CORINNE BAILEY RAE. ALL YOU DISSENTING SCHMUCKS KNOW COTDAMN WELL THAT YOU ARE NOT COOL AND NEVER WILL BE

IF YOU WANT EDGINESS IN YOUR MUSIC LISTEN TO TIMBERFAKE'S NEW CD THEN SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE EYE WITH A NAIL GUN

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
    CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
    CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP WITH A SODA ON THE SIDE

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    people can't enjoy things for what they are, everything always has to be compared to their existing boundaries of taste.

I find that a lot w/ new music on this board. For instance, any soul artist will automatically be compared to the pantheons of greats. Give it a rest, not everything is going to be as mindblowingly good as Donny Hathaway Live. Enjoy things for what it's worth. There are relative scales I can enjoy different things on.

I don't know how anyone can listen to "Put Your Records On" and label her as untalented. Especially the acoustic version, listen to the chord progressions and variation in her playing. That however isn't even the point........

Main point is, not everything has to be cutting edge or on the cusp. I like CBR, I like Norah Jones, not everything the mainstream supports is garbage. Can someone be popular because they're actually GOOD? I know this concept might shake the foundations of musical elitisim this board prides itself on, but it is indeed possible.

Then again, I am beating a dead horse, people are only prepared to see what they want to see. They feel vindicated by their obscure musical preferences. A badge of honour they wear proudly.

It's your loss, more black becky soul for me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    people can't enjoy things for what they are, everything always has to be compared to their existing boundaries of taste.
    I find that a lot w/ new music on this board. For instance, any soul artist will automatically be compared to the pantheons of greats. Give it a rest, not everything is going to be as mindblowingly good as Donny Hathaway Live. Enjoy things for what it's worth. There are relative scales I can enjoy different things on.
    I don't know how anyone can listen to "Put Your Records On" and label her as untalented. Especially the acoustic version, listen to the chord progressions and variation in her playing. That however isn't even the point........
    Main point is, not everything has to be cutting edge or on the cusp. I like CBR, I like Norah Jones, not everything the mainstream supports is garbage. Can someone be popular because they're actually GOOD? I know this concept might shake the foundations of musical elitisim this board prides itself on, but it is indeed possible.
    Then again, I am beating a dead horse, people are only prepared to see what they want to see. They feel vindicated by their obscure musical preference. A badge of honour they wear proudly.
    It's your loss, more black becky soul for me.

You can over intellectualize this all ya want. Wack iz Wack.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

You can over intellectualize this all ya want. Wack iz Wack.

rather it's the other way around.

find a reason to hate > find a reason to like

I like her music because it sounds pleasant. Call me wack, that's ok with me.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    STOP TRYING TO BE TOO COOL FOR THE REALNESS WHICH IS CORINNE BAILEY RAE. ALL YOU DISSENTING SCHMUCKS KNOW COTDAMN WELL THAT YOU ARE NOT COOL AND NEVER WILL BE.
    IF YOU WANT EDGINESS IN YOUR MUSIC LISTEN TO TIMBERFAKE'S NEW CD THEN SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE EYE WITH A NAIL GUN

posts of the day

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Call me wack, that's ok with me.