Best Hip Hop release 2001

planeteuropeplaneteurope 56 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Can't find anything really good. Was there something real good in 2001?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm still rolling with this:

The album may be a little uneven, but at the very least "Heavyweights Round 4" and "A Coat of Paint" are brilliant.

Which came out in '99.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Welcome 2 Detroit

This one ain't too shabby either:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    I liked the BBE shit

Pete Rock-Petestrumentals
    Jay Dee-Welcome 2 Detroit
    Marley Marl-Re-Entry

Umm and..

Masta Ace-Disposable Arts

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    Welcome 2 Detroit

or: j-zone - "pimps don't pay taxes"

dare i say..........canibal ox - "the cold vein"

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    Um.......

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

They are definitely not ready.

Good pick, although some of that material was a few years old.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Didn't "Stillmatic" come out in 2001? Not great, but a solid album.

Practically this whole thread is some "only on SoulStrut" schitt... dudes lamenting that nothing good has come out in the past five years, pretending to strain their brains for some semblance of something decent, and then offering up mediocre records like Stillmatic.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dungeon Family, Cormega, Ghostface, The Coup, Kurupt, Redman, UGK, State Property, Lil Jon, Bubba Sparxx (no Deliverence but still some of Timbo's best shit), Soulstrut favorite G DEP, Soulja Slim...i feel like i'm missing something really obvious. What came out on Cash Money in '01?

What do y'all think of Tragedy Khadafi's "Against All Odds"? I've never heard that '01 record from The Click either.

Dungeon Family, Cormega, Ghostface, The Coup, Kurupt, Redman, UGK, State Property, Lil Jon, Bubba Sparxx (no Deliverence but still some of Timbo's best shit), Soulstrut favorite G DEP, Soulja Slim...i feel like i'm missing something really obvious. What came out on Cash Money in '01?

What do y'all think of Tragedy Khadafi's "Against All Odds"? I've never heard that '01 record from The Click either.

And then, at the opposite end of the spectrum we have you, who thinks everything is good.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    as already mentioned above, these two are really good:

cannibal ox - the cold vein

jay dee - welcome 2 detroit (I would recommend the instrumentals though.)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

And then, at the opposite end of the spectrum we have you, who thinks everything is good.

That's 'everything'?

And in the middle we have you, posting with self-conscious smug satisfaction.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Dungeon Family

Slept on. "Rollin'" is my jam.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Practically this whole thread is some "only on SoulStrut" schitt... dudes lamenting that nothing good has come out in the past five years, pretending to strain their brains for some semblance of something decent, and then offering up mediocre records like Stillmatic.

Yep, you've got me all figured out by reading my one post. . .

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

hahahahahahahahaha

Yep, you've got me all figured out by reading my one post. . .

I have all you little dudes' numbers.

Do not question my omniscience game.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    zzzzzzzzzz
    Yr shit is so contradictory! "new rap is good, but people who like xyz dont like new rap, and people who like abc like EVERYTHING"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Stillmatic is mediocre, Petestrementals is good if you like trip hop, Expansion Team is garbage, I dont think I even have to say anything about '01 KRS albums.

Disposable Arts was pretty great.
    I'm sure that Hi Tek album is uneven, but I love that Jonell track.

I forgot Foxy Brown's "Broken Silence," and Trick Daddy's "Thugs Are Us" was alright. "Dynasty" came out in early early '01, right? I haven't heard that '01 Jadakiss album in ages.

Stillmatic is mediocre, Petestrementals is good if you like trip hop, Expansion Team is garbage, I dont think I even have to say anything about '01 KRS albums.

Disposable Arts was pretty great.
    I'm sure that Hi Tek album is uneven, but I love that Jonell track.

The reason why these threads seem to suck is because they're all people stating "facts" about whether an album is hot or garbage without actually saying shit about the music itself so I can understand where archaic is coming from when he gets heated - its like arguing with a brick wall of conformist rap canon bullshit that pretends to be 'above' herbish okayplayer nerds but is just as conservative and relies just as much on everyone on the board going for presumptuous assumptions and recieved wisdom about what is wrong with stillmatic or expansion team or any album not a part of the Approved Canon of Acceptable Artists (Now with 100% more UGK!), and no one dares to explain why they dislike shit beyond 'can't rap.'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    do you want to argue about one of my reactions? We can. Before we disagree I think we have to actually say something to disagree about. The problem is when the argument devolves into "well you like kris kross" "well you're a herb" etc. boring back and forth w/out any exchange of ideas sans 'your wrong i'm right'

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I know you think you're being "mad subliminal", but my final answer has always been NO, I don't want to trade for your Omniscience - Amazing 12". No matter how much you try to convince me, I just don't think it's "random rap waiting to be discovered".

Thought I didn't when I did?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

do you want to argue about one of my reactions? We can. Before we disagree I think we have to actually say something to disagree about. The problem is when the argument devolves into "well you like kris kross" "well you're a herb" etc. boring back and forth w/out any exchange of ideas sans 'your wrong i'm right'

I need to see numerical ratings before I can argue.

Nah, I'm just messing with you--I agree with your assessment of those albums that I've heard.

I know you think you're being "mad subliminal", but my final answer has always been NO, I don't want to trade for your Omniscience - Amazing 12". No matter how much you try to convince me, I just don't think it's "random rap waiting to be discovered".

Thought I didn't when I did?

LOL

Wasn't this dude from NC?

REGIONAL RAP PIONEER!

I remember one of his records being big on the college radio show I listened to at about the same time that "Ghetto Girl" by the one 8-Off was in rotation. Also La the Darkman and Ill Bizkits.

Too bad rap ceased being good a little while after that.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Did "Lord Willin'" come out in this year?