Gated reverb drum braekz

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Gated reverb drums - Worst shit ever? Indeed. One of the bad audio engineering looks of the 80s. Got breaks? Sure, flabby breaks drenched in crappy digital 'verb, but still breaks by defintion. Bring on some of those massive 80s beats with plenty of rooooooooom and not much boom. Audio clips if possible.I'll start off with an easy one (wuss thread related):PHIL COLLINS BREAKBEATRAER

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Peace To phil collins...

Not to threadjack, but what would people say is the 90s equivalent of 80's verb. As in, anything ruin the records of the 90's in the same way? Crunchy digital cymbals were bad, but not quite as ubiquitous...

• Peace To phil collins...

Not to threadjack, but what would people say is the 90s equivalent of 80's verb. As in, anything ruin the records of the 90's in the same way? Crunchy digital cymbals were bad, but not quite as ubiquitous...

Compressing the life out of everything. ie: Compare the original unmastered Butch Vig mix of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (on the "With The Lights Out" Nirvana box set) with the album version. Night and day.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Peace To phil collins...

Compressing the life out of everything. ie: Compare the original unmastered Butch Vig mix of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (on the "With The Lights Out" Nirvana box set) with the album version. Night and day.

Yeah, that's on point, over producing everything.

• haha how could i forget:

" "

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Peace To phil collins...

Please tell me you don't think these drums are wack, please.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Peace To phil collins...

When you diss Pumpkin, you diss yourself.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

OMG!!!!! I just turned deaf!

• Peace To phil collins...

I love that track but only the snare on the 2 and the 4 has verb, it sort of functions as a hand clap... and it sounds like they overdubbed it because there are "dry" snare hits in there too... it's what gives it that tasty 80's fromage... ok this is getting nerdy, bedtime.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Aw shit, I love those Action drums to death. Definetely not a cheesy 80s verb break IMO. If you absolutely had to go and put one of the classics up in here it should have been something like "The Big Beat", and then again, no, cause they are eternally banging and do not belong in the same thread as Frida.

Bring on the '86 hair metal breaks.

Peace To phil collins...

This break came to mind when I read the initial post. I am in way shape or form endorsing gated reverb.

I have heard worse drum breaks though...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I love those Action drums

I love those Action drums

That's phil collins?!

Phil Collins is considered one of the creators and primary culprits of corny 80's gated reverb...

From Wikipedia
    Gated reverb is... believed to have been created by Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham while working on the third Peter Gabriel solo album.

Phil Collins is considered one of the creators and primary culprits of corny 80's gated reverb...

From Wikipedia
    Gated reverb is... believed to have been created by Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham while working on the third Peter Gabriel solo album.

Yeah we established this in another thread about wuss's which lead to the creation of this one I just thought ya'll saying Phil played those drums

From Wikipedia

Wow, I'm gonna go home now and try and record some gated drums

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,091 Posts
    Dont forget the raer Duke Mayborn Octet featuring Peeky McGee