Lupe Fiasco: I Gotcha

2»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont even need to listen to this shit to know it sucks. someone post the instrumental though

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Related to that: I read in earlier interviews how ?uestlove described this new album as very much a "Black Thought" album and I wasn't sure what he meant by that but now I totally understand. Which is kind of mixed blessing: if you can't stand to hear BT rhyme, this album might leave you worn but while he's far from my fave MC, I'm not mad at how he puts himself across so forcefully on most of the songs here.

In other news: new Roots album = surprisingly not wack.

Shit is seriously dope. I've been running it for about a week straight and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Yeah - I don't know if you had the same feeling Cos but doesn't this album sound like it should have been the proper follow-up to "Phrenology" (musically speaking) vs. "Tipping Point"?

And to also add: it doesn't sound like what you'd think a "Def Jam" album would sound like.

I wasn't a fan of Phrenology at all, although it's for more personal reasons why and I can acnowledge why people consider it a really good LP. Tipping Point might as well have been called Tepid Point. However I did kind of "see" what they were trying to do with that one. But this one is like something else. It's like the combined all the strengths of both those 2 albums and put that energy towards this one. Also, although musically it's nothing like TFA or IH, it still bears a very similar feeling to both of them. It's really on some Philly shit. And no, it doesn't sound like an album "The Building" would have put out.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Related to that: I read in earlier interviews how ?uestlove described this new album as very much a "Black Thought" album and I wasn't sure what he meant by that but now I totally understand. Which is kind of mixed blessing: if you can't stand to hear BT rhyme, this album might leave you worn but while he's far from my fave MC, I'm not mad at how he puts himself across so forcefully on most of the songs here.

In other news: new Roots album = surprisingly not wack.

Shit is seriously dope. I've been running it for about a week straight and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Yeah - I don't know if you had the same feeling Cos but doesn't this album sound like it should have been the proper follow-up to "Phrenology" (musically speaking) vs. "Tipping Point"?

And to also add: it doesn't sound like what you'd think a "Def Jam" album would sound like.

I wasn't a fan of Phrenology at all, although it's for more personal reasons why and I can acnowledge why people consider it a really good LP. Tipping Point might as well have been called Tepid Point. However I did kind of "see" what they were trying to do with that one. But this one is like something else. It's like the combined all the strengths of both those 2 albums and put that energy towards this one. Also, although musically it's nothing like TFA or IH, it still bears a very similar feeling to both of them. It's really on some Philly shit. And no, it doesn't sound like an album "The Building" would have put out.

Completely unrelated to my personal relationship with BT, his presence comes across VERY STRONG on this album, and the dark sound of the music really compliments his voice and delivery, as well as the lyrical content (which is disturbing and paranoia-ridden.) But it also doesn't hurt at all that Malik B and Dice Raw are also rhyming on several of the tracks.

But yeah, it's a dark album, which is very much needed in hip-hop IMO. Almost as a nod to the nihilistic East Coast rap of the early/mid 90s as well as a foil to the darkness that permeates throughout a lot of Souther rap these days.

And the way Ahmir miced (SP?) the drums on this album is bananas.

SO REAL. The drums are insane on this LP. Makes "Web" sound like handclaps.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    the peedi crakk song is bananas.

that (and just blaze's stuff like "line em up") is what "rap rock" should have been

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I just started listening to this album again. These things fucking SMACK like nothing I've heard, mannn...

I just started listening to this album again. These things fucking SMACK like nothing I've heard, mannn...

Maybe Ahmir's been kicking it with the Daptone dudes. Or reading up on his Big Daddy back issues.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    why's it surprising that 'game theory' is good?
    at least half the songs on 'tipping point' are good and there's only 2 or 3 that are not on "point." ha
    haven't heard the new album but i look forward to it especially if its that much improved since their last. can someone up some tracks that haven't been leaked already?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    When does it drop? Does it drop soon? Because I haven't heard/read anything about it. "Ain't Right" maybe got play on KMEL for like a week (even I kinda forgot that I had the record=back of the crate)

why's it surprising that 'game theory' is good?

I'd answer this question seriously but I assume there will be much funnier people than I who have their own explanations to offer first.

When does it drop? Does it drop soon? Because I haven't heard/read anything about it. "Ain't Right" maybe got play on KMEL for like a week (even I kinda forgot that I had the record=back of the crate)

It's due out on 8/29 though, of course, take that with a grain of salt.