as an ebayer, what would you do?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I sold a Bealtes singles box set on ebay. Dude won it (three digit winning bid), shipped it, gave dude good feeback for prompt payment. He sends me a message wanting to return it because, although he stated I graded it accurately(I said the box was VG+ as there was some corner wear, and I said the sleeves and vinyl were NM, he said every record looked unplayed and mint). He said two of the singles looked like they are pressed off center. I obviously missed this, there were dozens of singles in this box set and I just looked at the condition and obviously didnt play them. So he wants a full refund, which I think is out of the question as he agreed I graded them correctly.If I divided the number of singles by the price and refund the "price" of what the two singles would be about 10 bucks. I think this is fair.Never had this situation occur to me before.what would you do?

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I think you're on the right track. Sounds like dude might be a bit off-center...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Beatles collectors are all nuts. They will find flaws that dont even exist, trust me.
    Id say call his bluff and have fun with him: "...didnt you know that those two singles were pressed off center?, they are all like that, what kind of Beatles collector are you?"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Beatles collectors are all nuts. They will find flaws that dont even exist, trust me.
    Id say call his bluff and have fun with him: "...didnt you know that those two singles were pressed off center?, they are all like that, what kind of Beatles collector are you?"

Agreed.....I'd send something like this....

Dear Ebay Customer,
    Thanks SO much for being so honest. I had not checked the discs closely and as you know being a Beatles collector, this is apparently one of the few ultra-rare "off centered" pressings that managed to make it out of the pressing plant undetected. Since the current market value of this rarity is at least 10x what you paid I am truly appreciative that you contacted me about my error. Please send the item back immediately for a full refund, or if you'd like you can keep it by just paying me an additional $150.00. Let me know how you would like to handle it and once again thanks for bringing this very costly mistake to my attention.

Mr. The Hook-Up Esq.

I'll bet $10 you never hear from the dude again.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Dear Ebay Customer,
    Thanks SO much for being so honest. I had not checked the discs closely and as you know being a Beatles collector, this is apparently one of the few ultra-rare "off centered" pressings that managed to make it out of the pressing plant undetected. Since the current market value of this rarity is at least 10x what you paid I am truly appreciative that you contacted me about my error. Please send the item back immediately for a full refund, or if you'd like you can keep it by just paying me an additional $150.00. Let me know how you would like to handle it and once again thanks for bringing this very costly mistake to my attention.

Mr. The Hook-Up Esq.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

Dear Ebay Customer,

Mr. The Hook-Up Esq.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.....Rock you is a genius!!