Jay-Z commercial for HP Intel Notebooks

2»

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

We need a caption for this picture.

"So, Shawn, I mean, Mr. Jay-zee. How do you feel about running microsoft now I'm out of, uhm, 'the game?' Uhh.... what do you say... holler?"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    The thing about Jay-Z that I appreciate is that, deep down inside, the dude just seems like a mega-dork and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

I don't get this. I would like to understand, though.

You know those Hawiian Sophie videos and what not, back when Jay-Z looked like a teacher's pet or whatever? As far and successful as he's come, there are times when Jay still has a bit of that dorkiness still in him. I don't care how many units he's moved or vials he slanged - Jay-Z is kind of dorky and we forget this because he's created a charismatic, allluring persona that seems to exude nothing but swagger and confidence but it can be a thin facade. I'm not suggesting Jay tries too hard - though I think that's a debatable point - but in this ad, it's like the geeky Jay is reaserting itself even when he's trying to talk about his big balla plans and what not. And for me, I appreciate that he can still seem like a little kid and out of his element. It's not easy being hard all the time.

he does look mad dorky on the back of that jaz single.... i was never able to completely forget that image either. jay has always been somewhat of a dork to me. what's cool is that he's a dork who never gave a fuck about being a dork. which makes him cool. oh, and the fact that he's one of the better rappers to really rise to the top in the last 10 years or so... and hey, would you rather see him in a suit? or roca wear? really....

i always love hearing him talk, because he's got this sort of squeaky dork voice that you'd expect from the mail clerk at your office. Plus his real demeanor is kinda humble and stuff. if you only saw him like that you'd never imagine he's the rock star/illest MC in the game that he is.

Okay, I guess I can see what youse guys are saying. I guess "dorky" wasn't the word I'd use to describe what you're talking about ("pussy"? no, that wouldn't really be it, either ). I really noticed that about Jay after Nas smashed him and he got on the radio all apologetic for doing "Super Ugly". I was like YO! How you gon' be this super arrogant dude on records then come off all shy and mild mannered, voice cracking and schitt? I kinda look at Jiggaman as being deep down a pretty insecure dude... not dissing him when I say that, but just saying he's human and has the same little fears and self-consciousness issues that most of us have, even though we (the public) see him as this Hip Hop giant.

Still, S-dot... tone it down with the suits. Overdoing the classy can make it look like you're trying too hard. Keep it subtle... the world already knows that you're mega-rich. Look to Bill Gates for fashion pointers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overdoing the classy can make it look like you're trying too hard.

That's what I took from the commercial. I'm glad President Carter is dressing the part, but sometimes he tends to look pimpish and not classy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i thought that commercial was great beyond the end bit. it seemed really forced for some reason.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The thing about Jay-Z that I appreciate is that, deep down inside, the dude just seems like a mega-dork and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

wow

I hope a Pharrell one is next.

I really hope not.

What's funny about this ad is that it borrows the basics of many of Apple's campaigns but then "PCs it up". If you don't know what I mean, peep: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pXL5_RvGrs&search=ipod

I like the first comment after that Youtube link:

"How horrible. All the info you need would be on the box. And the product would be less expensive."

That's sorta how I feel.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah but if you need instructions, let alone a box, to figure out how to use an Ipod...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Jay-Z: "Okay...this is awkward...ummmmm...cheese?"

Footnote: As a token of his appreciation, Carter agreed to give Gates some clothing from the Summer line of Rocawear. Gates agreed to put Carter in Microsoft's next ad.

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts

wow

I hope a Pharrell one is next.

I really hope not.

What's funny about this ad is that it borrows the basics of many of Apple's campaigns but then "PCs it up". If you don't know what I mean, peep: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pXL5_RvGrs&search=ipod

I like the first comment after that Youtube link:

"How horrible. All the info you need would be on the box. And the product would be less expensive."

That's sorta how I feel.

i really dont mind decent aesthetics and well designed packaging with the liner notes on the inside
    of the gatefold, as the case may be.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Here's what they're thinking.

Jay-Z: "I wonder what a dude rich as bill gates thinks about?

Bill: "Should I shake his hand, or is he expecting a slap or one of those 'pounds'?"

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

can u say ether waiting to happen...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Jay needs to tone it down with the suits.

Come on, Phill. You weren't into that full windsor knot?

his fashion consultant knows what he/she's doing. Spread collar + windsor knot is flattering for a long narrow face, which he has.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

his fashion consultant knows what he/she's doing. Spread collar + windsor knot is flattering for a long narrow face, which he has.

Despite this the quality of Sean John is still leagues beyond Rocawear. G-unit clothing is the worst.